Company Practices Regarding Your Privacy
Welcome to CarInsurance.com, a website owned by QuinStreet, Inc. We at QuinStreet, Inc. and our affiliated companies worldwide are committed to respecting your online privacy and recognize your need for appropriate protection and management of any information you share with us by using our web sites.
Your California Privacy Rights
California has passed legislation requiring certain specific disclosures be made available to California residents who use the Internet and provide information that may be used for marketing purposes. That legislation requires any business that discloses a customer’s personal information (as defined by the act) to any third party for direct marketing purposes to provide the customer a method for obtaining the names, addresses and certain other specified details of anyone who might have received that personal information.
If you are a California resident you may request this information from QuinStreet or any of its affiliates by writing to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may send us correspondence at the following address: QuinStreet, Attn: Privacy, 950 Tower Lane, 6th Floor, Foster City, CA 94404. QuinStreet is not obligated to respond to more than one such request from a customer per calendar year.
Information Collected by CarInsurance.com
Non-Personally Identifiable Consumer Information
QuinStreet collects various types of information from you to better meet your needs and to provide you with a more relevant user experience. Some of this information is collected automatically through cookies (a small text file placed on your computer which can identify your operating system and session ID) or other Internet tracking technologies. The type of information your browser or Internet session may automatically provide us with can include the browser you are using, your Internet domain, the operating system on your computer, your IP address and the URL you saw just before coming to the QuinStreet site, the pages of the site you visited and the URL of the page you visited upon leaving the site. If you take advantage of our insurance-quoting services, we may also use web beacons, which allow our partners to place a cookie on an end user’s computer when they visit one of our partner sites so that when the end user visits our sites, that cookie data is tracked by our partner and our partner can identify that the end user achieved a certain milestone (a commonly used concept also referred to as “pixel tracking”).
Personally Identifiable Consumer Information
In addition, at some of the QuinStreet web sites, we collect information that you may choose to provide to us when requesting additional information from us or from one or more of our clients. Examples of personally identifiable data that you may provide to us include name, address, and email address. If you provide personally identifiable data to us, you may later elect to have your information deleted from our files, or kept from being used for purposes other than for the service requested, by following the opt-out procedures set forth below.
Where you provide your personal information to us to receive an auto insurance quote, this information may include phone number, social security number, marital status, date of birth, gender, occupation, education level, driver’s license number, prior insurance coverage, vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model and number of vehicles on your household.
How Collected Information is Used
The non-personally identifiable information that QuinStreet collects is used for marketing and sales efforts to better target advertisements and other content in an effort to create a more personally relevant experience. The information is also used to predict responses to advertisements, and to help determine which ads perform best and which content is most appropriate for different individuals. If you take advantage of our insurance-quoting services, we may also provide non-personally identifiable information about your use of our websites to quoting aggregators, participating insurance carriers and our business partners.
If you elect to provide QuinStreet with personally identifiable information, we may utilize such information for marketing purposes, and this use may result in follow-up communications from QuinStreet and from our clients. By submitting such information to us, you understand and agree that such submission constitutes making an “inquiry” to us and our affiliated entities, who may contact you via telephone for a limited period even if the telephone number you submitted appears on any state and/of federal Do Not Call list because your inquiry serves as an exception to state and/or federal Do Not Call laws. In addition, that information may be combined with information collected from other sources to assist with targeting ads to your preferences and behaviors, both on our own websites and on certain third party websites, including Facebook, and for other QuinStreet sales and marketing efforts.
If you provide your personal information to us to receive an auto insurance quote, we may utilize such information for the following purposes:
- Online Interview. In order to take advantage of the services on our Sites you must provide certain Personal Information to us during the online client interview process (“Interview”). Personal Information is used to facilitate your requests for insurance
- Offline Interview. If you take advantage of our services through our call center with one of our licensed insurance agents, your Personal Information will be collected during such offline interview (“Interview”) and incorporated into our electronic system so we can fulfill the products/services selected by you.
- Post-Interview Information. Additional Personal Information, such as method of payment and social security numbers will be collected from you during the post Interview process in order to fulfill any orders for services or products made by you.
- Transaction Information. Your Personal Information may be collected and used by us to track transactions conducted on our Sites including which products/services you selected and information we require for payment.
- Sweepstakes and Surveys. You will be asked to disclose Personal Information if you elect to participate in any sweepstakes or surveys we offer on the Sites from time to time.
Sharing Information with Third Parties
All personally identifiable information you provide is maintained in confidence by QuinStreet. There are instances, however, in which your personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information is shared with third parties, as described below.
Your non-personally identifiable data may be shared with third-party partners of QuinStreet on an anonymous basis.
When you request information from QuinStreet or one or more of our clients, we may transfer that information within QuinStreet or route your information to our client(s), across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world, so that they may provide the information on their product or service that you requested.
We may also disclose information to a third party who provides substantially similar services as the original service about which you requested more information. In such situations, we will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of such sharing. Please be aware that QuinStreet is very careful in selecting companies with whom it does business.
In addition to the above situations where your information may be shared with others, there is also the possibility that QuinStreet, or part(s) of the company, may one day be purchased by, or merged with, another company. In the event of such transaction, the acquiring (or merging) company will have access to all collected personally identifiable information.
If you provide your personal information to us to receive an auto insurance quote, such information will be shared with our licensed agency, QuinStreet Insurance Agency, Inc. (fka Car Insurance.com, Inc.). In addition, we may share such information with:
- Financial, Credit and Government Agencies. In order to provide you with our services, and only where permitted by law, we share your personal information with: (1) financial service providers who provide comparative rates; (2) certified credit bureaus to verify information about your credit report; (3) Department of Motor Vehicles to verify your driving record, previous claims history, vehicles and VIN and other relevant information. Your personal information is maintained by credit agencies and disclosed by them to others as permitted by law.
- Service Providers. Sometimes third party service providers are retained or utilized by us and may have access to our visitors' personal information. This information is required in order to generate accurate and bindable insurance rates. Please be aware, while we take steps to protect third party use of Personal Information through confidentiality agreements and restrictions on access to and use of such information, there is no means for us to police the activities of third parties' use of Personal Information disclosed to them.
- QuinStreet Insurance Agency, Inc. (fka Car Insurance.com, Inc.). Licensed insurance agents of our wholly owned subsidiary, QuinStreet Insurance Agency, Inc. (fka Car Insurance.com, Inc.)., may contact you to assist you in obtaining insurance information from our clients.
Finally, QuinStreet may share your information as necessary to comply with a court order, to cooperate with government and law enforcement officials, protect our company's rights and/or property, investigate reports of visitors providing false or misleading information, protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our sites and/or service, prevent or investigate reports of credit card fraud or unauthorized use, or during emergencies, such as when we believe someone's physical safety is at risk.
Wherever your personally identifiable information may be held within QuinStreet or on its behalf, we intend to take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect the information you shared with us from unauthorized access or disclosure. Please note that while QuinStreet will make every reasonable effort to protect your information, no transmission of data over the Internet is 100% secure.
If you provide your personal information to us to receive an auto insurance quote, we encrypt such information by using advanced encryption technology known as Secure Socket Layer (SSL) to protect the transfer and storage of your personal information. In addition, during the Interview process, you are on secure pages of our sites and a lock or key icon appears on the bottom of your web browser screen. With regard to physical security, the personal information you provide to receive an auto insurance quote is restricted to the offices of QuinStreet (including its wholly owned subsidiary, QuinStreet Insurance Agency, Inc., fka Car Insurance.com, Inc.), whose employees are only granted access on a need-to-know basis. In addition, the servers on which we store such personal information are kept in a secure environment. Such servers are operated from a dedicated Internet hosting facility with state-of-the-art physical security features, including smoke detection and fire suppression systems, motion sensors, and 24x7 secured access, as well as video camera surveillance and security breach alarms.
Some of our web sites utilize cookies to collect information about your website activities and to recall the personal information you previously shared with us. Most browsers allow you to control cookies, including whether or not to accept them and how to remove them.
You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser. Blocking cookies may result in a lower quality experience for you while you are visiting QuinStreet web sites.
Personally Identifiable Consumer Information - Opting-Out
You may choose whether or not to provide personally identifiable information to QuinStreet. If you choose to provide such information to QuinStreet, you have the right to tell us not to make some of the uses of such information described herein or may have such information deleted in its entirety. If you no longer wish to receive our newsletters, surveys or promotional communications via email, you may opt-out by clicking here and following the instructions to unsubscribe. To have your personal information completely removed from our databases, simply contact us at email@example.com and provide the name of the service for which information was provided, your full name, mailing address, phone number and email address so that we may identify you in the opt-out process. Once we receive your instruction, we will promptly take corrective action.
If you provide your personal information to us in an Interview process to receive an auto insurance quote, you may also opt-out by clicking on the “contact us” link in our application. Please be aware that each Interview is considered a new visitor session. This means that if you opt-out during the Interview you will not receive any email from us. However, if you begin a new Interview at a later time, unless you opt-out during that session, you will receive an email from us.
Also, if you provide your personal information to us in an Interview process to receive an auto insurance quote:
- How to Correct or Change Your Quote Information. You can access the quote information you provided and update it at any point during the Interview by navigating to previous pages and making the necessary changes. Upon completing the Interview, you may review and/or modify your personal information and/or email address by selecting the “modify” button on the rates page and get a revised quote reflecting the changes you have made. When you save your quote information, you can return to the Sites and change your information at anytime as long as you have not yet purchased a policy. Simply log onto the Sites, select the applicable insurance for which you requested a quote, and select Retrieve My Quote. To change your information type the new data and click the Continue button.
- Editing Your Personal Information. If your personal information or email address changes or you want to edit or update your information you can do so by emailing our Customer Support, or by contacting us by telephone or postal mail at the contact information listed below.
Customer Support E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Customer Support Address: QuinStreet, Inc., 950 Tower Lane, 6th Floor, Foster City, CA 94404.
- Implementing Change Request. We will use reasonable efforts to make the changes you requested but it is not always possible to modify database information. In addition, if your personal information and email address has been provided to third parties, we will not be able to make changes to it. Further, such information is never completely removed from our database due to technical constraints and the fact that we back up our systems. Therefore, you should not expect that all of your personal information would be removed from our database in response to your request.
- Live Chat. We provide a live chat feature on our Sites. When used during business hours, this feature does not collect any personally identifiable information. When used after business hours to send us a message, this feature collects your name and email address. We use this information to communicate with you regarding your inquiry.
Third Party Links
In some states, or for certain lines of coverage (including, but not limited to, homeowners or renters coverage, certain health coverage, life coverage, auto coverage) we may provide direct links to insurance company or agency web sites if we cannot obtain comparative quote information. If you purchase insurance from these third party carriers as a result of visiting our sites the carrier may share your personal information with us regarding the policy which is purchased and related information but we will not share the information with unaffiliated third parties. Please Note: when you purchase third party products and/or services from third party web sites, you become their customer and are subject to their privacy policies. Please be aware that we are not responsible for third party privacy practices even if our name or logos appear on third party sites. We encourage you to review these companies' privacy policies and only do business with those who adhere to personal information practices with which you are comfortable.
Do Not Share Disclosure
We do not sell, rent or trade your personal information or email address that you provide in requesting an auto insurance quote with third parties for their promotional purposes. However, we may use the information to direct traffic to approved partner sites. If that practice were to change, we would offer you the means to opt out of this type of information sharing.
To the extent that you do provide us with personally identifiable information, QuinStreet wishes to maintain the accuracy of this information. Where we collect personally identifiable information from you on the Web, our goal is to provide a means of contacting QuinStreet should you need to update or correct that information. If for any reason those means are unavailable or inaccessible, you may send updates and corrections about your personally identifiable information to email@example.com and we will make reasonable efforts to incorporate the changes in the information that we hold as soon as practicable.
In compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), QuinStreet.com is not structured to attract children. Accordingly, we do not intend to collect personally identifiable information from anyone we know to be under 13 years of age.
Refer a Friend
Some of QuinStreet's web sites offer you the opportunity to easily notify a friend of the offer or information promoted on the site. If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about a QuinStreet site, we will ask you for your friend's personally identifiable information, including name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site. QuinStreet stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program.
Your friend may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove this information from our database. Our one-time email to your friend will inform him or her of this fact.
Protecting your privacy online is an evolving area, and QuinStreet's web sites are constantly changing to meet these demands.
950 Tower Lane, 6th Floor
Foster City, CA 94404