The CarInsurance.com Premium Index (CPI) tracks car insurance trends, including the one you mentioned that shows the average annual premiums for teenagers. For this particular part of the CPI, we are using data from quotes of families with teens on their policies.
You may be aware that most car insurance companies' rules don't allow a person under the age of 18 to have a policy on their own. Auto insurance providers normally require a minor to have a parent or guardian on their policy with them. Due to this requirement most teenagers tend to be included on their parent's car insurance policy.
CarInsurance.com offers the CPI as a tool to show auto insurance premiums and customer rate trends. Besides the average annual car insurance cost for teens, we offer CPI charts for these other group types:
- Students - Students pay a little more than the national average cost of car insurance, pay less than drivers of the same age that are not in school.
- Married drivers – Married drivers pay less than single drivers for auto insurance.
- Young Families - Young families usually pay less than the average cost of car insurance as a group.
- Established Families - Established families normally pay less than the national average for car insurance.
- Seniors - Senior Citizens pay the lowest premiums of all groups of drivers.
The CPI is a broad indicator of pricing activity in the personal auto insurance marketplace, but it's not a comprehensive index, as it reflects only the quotes of companies CarInsurance.com represents in the 49 states plus the District of Columbia.
If you are searching for low cost car insurance as a teen or the parent of a teen, let CarInsurance.com help you out. The cost of auto insurance for teens is notoriously high (see "What a teenager does to your car insurance rates"), so shopping around for the best rates is a must.
Here at CarInsurance.com we offer multiple company insurance rates for personal auto insurance and the ability to purchase from one place; we are ahead of other online insurance companies. Start your free auto insurance quote now.