Good luck with your move and dental training in Maryland. Transferring over your New York driver's license, registration and title shouldn't be too difficult, but per Maryland laws you must do it within 60 days.
If you fail to make the changes within the 60-day time period, Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) says you will not be eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in your previous state, and you may be subject to a citation for an out-of-state registration.
To register and title your Nissan Sentra in Maryland, you need go to one of the MVA branch offices. Before making the trip to the MVA, you will need to go to a dealership or service station to get your car inspected and receive a form certifying that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards.
With the Maryland safety inspection certificate in hand, you can go to register your car, but will also need to bring:
- Proof of ownership.
- Application for certificate of title. It can be used to apply for both title and registration and is available for you to download off the MVA website.
- Proof of car insurance with at least Maryland's minimum liability requirements.
- Lease or loan information (if applicable, see MVA website for additional information).
- Payment for your titling and registration fees.
You can also change over your license at a MVA branch office. When applying for your Maryland license you will take a vision test, pay the required fee, and provide the following:
- Proof of age/identity.
- Proof lawful presence.
- A verifiable Social Security Number or proof of ineligibility.
- Proof of Maryland residence.
- Out-of-State license to exchange.
We recommend you go on the MVA website for more information on what sources of proof they accept for each category listed above and to confirm you have all the information required for your registration and license exchanges.
Maryland has higher liability limits for car insurance than New York, so you will likely need to change over your car insurance policy before applying for Maryland registration and title. Here at CarInsurance.com we can help you shop for low cost car insurance.
CarInsurance.com offers multiple company insurance rates and the ability to purchase from one place; we are ahead of other online insurance companies. Start your free auto insurance quote here to see how companies compete for your business.