Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

Can I change auto insurance companies if I am mid-policy with my current provider?

Yes, it is possible to change car insurance companies even if you are in mid-policy. Just as you can change parts of your policy during the time that the policy is in effect, you can also decide to make changes to who insures you. Read our guide on switching car insurance companies to save money.

Typically, all you need to cancel your car insurance policy is a signed form stating your cancellation request.

It would be wise to have your new policy started though before canceling with your current car insurance provider. You may need to show proof of new car insurance with another company for your cancellation to go through.


If you cancel your car insurance policy, the insurance company should send you a check refund if any monies are due back to you. You should check with your current insurance provider to find out if you need to request your refund, if you are entitled to one, or if they will automatically send you a check if you are owed any money after your cancellation. Most state laws require that this refund takes no longer than 30 days for you to receive.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
1 Responses to "Can I change auto insurance companies if I am mid-policy with my current provider?"
  1. Anonymous

    Does the insured get a refund on premium already paid?

Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided are for information purposes. They are not intended to substitute informed professional advice. These responses should not be interpreted as a recommendation to buy or sell any insurance product, or to provide financial or legal advice. Please refer to your insurance policy for specific coverage and exclusion information. Please read our Terms of Service.