Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

What insurance do I need for a 150cc scooter?

Question: I have a 150cc scooter in the state of Florida. What do I need (insurance, MSO, etc) to get a tag and title?

Answer: The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (HSMV) classifies your scooter as a motorcycle. According to the HSMV Motorcycle Handbook a motorcycle is a motor vehicle powered by a motor with a displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters, having a sear for the used of the rider and designed to travel on not more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground. The exceptions to this definition are tractors and mopeds.

In Florida, if you wish to operate a 2 or 3 wheel motorcycle, whose engine is more than 50 cc, you are required to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver license or a motorcycle only license.

Insurance is not required for a motorcycle in Florida but it must be titled and registered according to Florida statute 319.20. The voluntary purchase of motor vehicle liability insurance is recommended for a motorcyclist protection though. Failure to carry liability insurance can result in the loss of your driver license, tag(s) and registration if you are involved in a traffic accident, convicted of a DUI or other occurrences as defined by the FL Financial Responsibility Law.

To tag and title your 150cc scooter you will need to apply at the HSMV for registration. For information on what exact documents you will need to provide contact the FL HSMV and look at the DMV procedures manual document, which can found at the bottom of this HSMV webpage.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
1 Responses to "What insurance do I need for a 150cc scooter?"
  1. Visitor

    It was very clear and to the point. I figured out what I needed to know and now I'm on my way.