In Tennessee moving violations, such as speeding as well as points are placed on your driving record or motor vehicle record (MVR) after your conviction of the offense.
The Tennessee points value schedule lists that the following values will be assigned to moving traffic violations for speeding:
- Speeding 1 through 5 mph in excess of speed zone is 1 point
- Speeding 6 through 15 mph in excess of speed zone is 3 points
- Speeding 16 through 25 mph in excess of speed zone is 4 points
- Speeding 26 through 35 mph in excess of speed zone is 5 points
- Speeding 36 through 45 mph in excess of speed zone is 6 points
- Speeding 46 mph and above in excess of speed zone is 8 points
If your speeding citation was for 10 miles per hour over the speed limit it should be assigned 3 points and placed on your driving history. Depending upon your insurance company's rating system this traffic ticket could affect your rates. If it does you can shop around to see if better auto insurance premium rates are available to you. You can start here by getting an affordable TN car insurance quote.