To the best of our knowledge you should be able to purchase a car and obtain insurance in Florida without a social security number (SSN) being required. You will though need to obtain a full automobile license since your motorcycle license is not enough for most insurance companies.
A car dealership may also require you have a FL driver's license in order to purchase the vehicle; their guidelines differ so check with the dealership you plan on buying a car from to see what exactly they will require from you.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles states that for Non-United States Citizens to obtain an Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth and social security number (if issued) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.
For Immigrants - Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:
- Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551); or
- I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or
- Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum; or
- I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or
- I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved; or
Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:
- Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
- Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
- F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
- I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
- Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.
The following documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to: a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card or other INS document.
- I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit
- I-512 Parole Letter Accepted
- IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.
- All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.
- Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
- Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.
- All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.
- Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.
- If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.
If you were able to obtain a Florida motorcycle license then you should be able to receive a Florida state driver's license for an automobile as well. Insurance companies will want you to have a State driver's license but you may be able to begin a car insurance policy with your valid UK license as long as you acquire the FL license within a short period of time, normally they will require it to be 30 to 45 days.