Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Where do I obtain the SR-22 form?


Question:  Where do I obtain the SR-22 form? Your answers and explanation was great, but you never mention where to obtain the form or if the insurance company must fill out and send in. Please let me know the process as soon as possible. Thank you!

Answer:  You must obtain the SR-22 form from a car insurance company. This proof of car insurance coverage is something that your auto insurance company has and will fill out and file once you have purchased the car insurance coverages required of you by the state to comply with your SR-22. 

In most states, the form is now filed electronically, but, in some states, the policyholders can still be given the form to take to the licensing office. Some carriers, in some states, offer instant SR-22s, while others require this certificate of financial responsibility to be filed before mailing it to you or making it available for you to download online if you need a copy of it.

If you are required to file a SR-22, then you should contact your car insurance provider and advise them of the need for the SR-22 filing with the state. The form must then normally be filed by an insurance company licensed through your state's insurance regulatory body.

If your current car insurance company doesn't issue SR-22s, then you will need to find an auto insurance company that does and buy your needed car insurance policy with them. You cannot have duplicate coverages on a vehicle, so you would then need to cancel your coverage with your original insurer that was unable to file the SR-22 for you.

If you are unable to find a company that will insure you and file the SR-22 on your behalf, then check with your state's insurance regulator. This state agency should be able to advise you where to find an insurance provider in your area that you can purchase the required insurance from and that will also file the SR-22 form with the state.

When you get an auto insurance quote at CarInsurance.com and need a SR-22 filed, on the Incidents screen (after indicating how many violations you've received in the last 7 years) you'll need to check "Yes - SR-22" to the question "Have you been required to carry a court-ordered financial responsibility filing within the last five (5) Years?" If a company is available to quote you an SR-22, you will see them on the Quote/Purchase screen.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
2 Responses to "Where do I obtain the SR-22 form?"
  1. Anonymous

    Question was answered perfectly.

  2. Anonymous

    This was helpful but our insurance company said that we have to get our own paperwork, what paperwork. Thanks Shanna