Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

I live in MA and I got a speeding ticket in NH. Is this ticket going to go on my driving record?

The state of New Hampshire is a member of the Drivers License Compact (DLC) while Massachusetts is not a member of this reciprocal agreement that requires member states to report moving violations back to the state which the motorist is licensed in.

According to the Massachusetts driver's manual located at the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), MA has arranged to share driving record and criminal violation information with other states. So even though Massachusetts is not a part of the DLC, they have their own agreements with other states to exchange violation information.

The RMV driver's manual goes on to say that certain traffic offenses committed by a MA licensed driver in other states will be placed on their MA driving record and treated by the RMV as if the offense had occurred in Massachusetts.

RMV also notes that out of state violations count toward possible license suspensions and Safe Driver Insurance Plan surcharges. Furthermore, if your license or driving privileges have been suspended or revoked in another state, your MA license will also be suspended.

Since the RMV treats most out of state violations as if they occurred in state, then a New Hampshire speeding ticket will likely be treated as if it happened in MA and thus recorded on your MA driving record. If this is done, according to the Safe Driver Insurance Plan (SDIP) a minor traffic violation (like speeding) is also assessed a 2 point insurance surcharge.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "I live in MA and I got a speeding ticket in NH. Is this ticket going to go on my driving record?"