Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Can I drive in California with my valid Mexican driver license?


Yes, normally if you have a valid Mexican driver's license you should be able to drive in California if you are visiting the state.

The United States, Canada and over 100 other countries are party to the International Convention on Road Traffic. This Convention is intended to establish uniform reciprocal privileges on matters such as drivers' permits. The agreement also requires the US and its states to allow a foreign driver admitted to the US to drive a private motor vehicle for one year on certain conditions. Mexico is one of the countries listed on this agreement.

Section 12502 of the California Vehicle Code states that a nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which he or she is a resident, except as provided in Section 12505.

The CA Department of Motor Vehicles states that he State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
1 Responses to "Can I drive in California with my valid Mexican driver license?"
  1. Anonymous

    My friend was pulled over in San Francisco, CA and was told that her license is not valid here in the state of CA. She has a valid passport and a valid driver license from Mexico. The car was inpounded for driving without a license. What went wrong in this situatin?