Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

How old do you have to be to go for your M1? (motorcycle license)

Whether you want to drive a standard motorcycle, limited-speed motorcycle or moped as a new drivers you will enter Ontario's graduated licensing system. You must be at least 16 years of age and pass a vision test and a test of your knowledge of the rules of the road and traffic signs. After you pass these tests, you will enter Level One and get an M1 licence.

If you are a new driver applying for your first licence to ride a motorcycle, you will need to be at least 16 years old and enter into Ontario's graduated licensing system. That means you'll earn full driving privileges in two stages. The first is the M1. New motorcycle riders with a Class M1 licence learn to ride under these four conditions:

  1. Your blood alcohol level must be zero;
  2. You must ride only during daylight hours (1/2 hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset)
  3. You must not ride on highways with speed limits of more than 80 km/h except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144, 655;
  4. You cannot carry passengers.

After you pass a motorcycle knowledge test, you will get a Class M1 licence and an information package for new riders. You must spend a minimum of 60 days with a Class M1 licence, which is valid for 90 days.

Motorcycle riders who successfully complete an approved motorcycle safety course that includes a road test with an M1 licence are exempt from taking the ministry's M1 road test and can move to an M2 licence after 60 days. If you complete an approved safety course in either level, you can reduce the time that you must hold an M2 licence from 22 to 18 months. While the motorcycle safety course certificate is valid for two years from its issue date, it may only be used for the M1 road test exemption within six months of its issue date.

If you are interested in becoming fully licensed on a limited-speed motorcycle or moped you must pass two road tests. Passing the first road test lets you move to Level Two (class M2 with L condition). Passing the second road test gives you the restricted class M driving privileges.

The holder of an M1 licence will be able to operate a limited-speed motorcycle, moped or full-speed motorcycle. At the time of booking your M1 road test, you must decide which type of vehicle you will use on the day of your road test, as it will determine which licence you get.

Moped drivers have to hold a Class M licence or the restricted Class M licence to operate their moped. You need to pass a written test and complete both the M1 and M2 road tests and, if successful, you will receive a driver's licence that allows you to operate a limited-speed motorcycle (motor scooter) and moped only.

With a Class M1 licence, an operator can drive a moped, limited-speed motorcycle and a motorcycle. A restricted Class M licence permits the licence holder to operate only a:

  • limited-speed motorcycle (motor scooter) and
  • motor-assisted bicycle (moped)

For more information on obtaining a M1 licence in Ontario, Canada contact the Ministry of Transportation (MTO), the licensing agency for this area.

Add Comment

Leave a Comment
2 Responses to "How old do you have to be to go for your M1? (motorcycle license)"
  1. Anonymous


  2. Anonymous