Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Is it the law in Oklahoma that you have to have insurance even though you don't own a car?


You do not necessarily need auto insurance just because you have an Oklahoma driver's license. We do not see that insurance is needed just to obtain an OK driver's license. So if you have one for purposes of identification or just to have in case you even buy a vehicle then you would not need insurance.

If you do not own your own vehicle but do drive other people's vehicles then you will need to make certain you would be covered if in an accident and be able to show proof of financial responsibility (an insurance card) if stopped by law enforcement. If you do not own a vehicle nor live in a household with vehicles in which you could be placed on the insurance policy of then you may want to consider getting a non-owner's policy.

A non-owner's policy is a liability policy basically that would be secondary to the car owner's primary insurance policy if you were to cause an accident. A non-owner's policy would be in your name and be proof of insurance if you needed to show an insurance card in your name. It can also be helpful to protect you when renting cars.

The Oklahoma driver's manual notes that OK has strict laws about having valid auto liability insurance. "Liability" means that as a driver, you are legally and financially responsible for injury, death, or property damages caused by you or your vehicle in a collision. All Oklahoma drivers and/or vehicle owners are required by law to carry the minimum limits of liability for this state:

  • $25,000 for injury or death of one person
  • $50,000 for injury or death of two or more persons
  • $25,000 for property damage

At the time of a collision or a traffic stop, the driver must show a current security verification form (proof of liability insurance) to the law enforcement officer. The vehicle owner's insurance company or an individual's non-owner insurance policy will provide the proper security verification form.

The OK Department of Public Safety will suspend the driver license of the uninsured driver and/or owner of a vehicle involved in a collision where there is any injury or property damage of $300 or more.

If you receive a ticket for failing to have proof of liability insurance, the courts will notify the Department of Public Safety. Your driver license and your vehicle tags will be suspended.

A conviction of failure to comply with the Compulsory Insurance Law or failure to produce proof of insurance to a law enforcement officer or Department of Public Safety representative upon request can result in a fine of up to $250, 30 days in jail, or both plus Suspension of license and registration

By law, you must show proof of FR (financial responsibility) to a law enforcement officer or Department of Public Safety Representative when asked. If you are in a collision, you must show your proof of liability insurance to the other driver and to the other people involved. You should write down the information from the other driver's security verification form and the driver's complete name, driver's license number, and date of birth for driver and owner for your own protection.

Article 3 under Chapter 7 (7-302) of the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle laws speaks about proof of financial responsibility. Here is part it states:

The term "proof of financial responsibility" as used in this title shall mean proof of ability to respond in damages for liability, on account of collisions occurring subsequent to the effective date of the proof, arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a vehicle of a type subject to registration under the laws of this state, in the amount of at least Twenty-five Thousand Dollars ($25,000.00) because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one collision, and, subject to the limit for one person, in the amount of at least Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000.00) because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one collision, and in the amount of at least Twenty-five Thousand Dollars ($25,000.00) because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one collision. Wherever used in this title, the terms "proof of financial responsibility" or "proof" shall be synonymous.

Section 7-332 notes that the owner of a motor vehicle may give proof of financial responsibility on behalf of his employee or a member of his immediate family or household in lieu of the furnishing of proof by any said person. The furnishing of such proof shall permit such person to operate only a motor vehicle covered by such proof.

Since OK has such strict insurance and financial responsibility laws if you are unsure if you need your own personal proof of insurance in your specific situation you should check with the OK DPS. If you do not own your own vehicle but do drive someone else's car you should check to make sure there is valid insurance coverage for you while operating the vehicle and that you would have a way to show law enforcement proof of insurance if asked.

If you are in need of auto insurance for the state of Oklahoma follow this link for instant car insurance quotes.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Is it the law in Oklahoma that you have to have insurance even though you don't own a car?"