Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Need to change my driver's license and vehicle registration from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. Do I go to motor vehicle center?


Yes, you will need to go to a Pennsylvania Bureau of Motor Vehicles to obtain a PA driver's license and register and title your vehicle in this state.

All new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver's License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency.

To apply, you must appear in person at one of our Driver License Centers. You will be required to surrender your out-of-state driver's license (valid or expired six months or less) before PennDOT can issue you a PA Driver's License. You will need to take a vision-screening test and complete the necessary forms, which are available at our Driver License Centers. In addition, you will need to show proof of identification and residency and your social security card.

All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in Pennsylvania.

Individuals are required to have a valid form of Pennsylvania identification in order to make application to title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania. Although new residents have 60 days to obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license, there is nothing to prevent them from obtaining their Pennsylvania driver's license sooner.

Pennsylvania title procedures require that out-of-state titles be surrendered to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles when applying for a Pennsylvania title. You will need to obtain the necessary forms to get your Pennsylvania vehicle registration. Forms are available at any messenger or agent service office or any PA Driver and Vehicle Service Center location. The PennDOT website allows you to search from your zip code and see the approximate driving distance, or search by selecting a county to find the closest DMV to you.

Get low cost car insurance for Pennsylvania here with us once you have made your move from New Jersey.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Need to change my driver's license and vehicle registration from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. Do I go to motor vehicle center?"