Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


My license is suspended in Arkansas. Can I get one in Minnesota?


The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver and Vehicle Services agency states that you have 60 days after becoming a resident in Minnesota to obtain your Minnesota license or permit if you have a valid driver's license or instruction permit from another state.

If you have a valid license from another U.S. state, certain territories (Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Virgin Islands, and Guam), or Canada, you can obtain a Minnesota driver's license by passing the knowledge (written) test and a vision check. You do not need to take a skills (road) test unless your license has been expired for more than one year.

The MN Driver's Manual notes that a Minnesota Driver's License will not be issued if are several reasons including:

  • Your license is suspended and you have not met all reinstatement requirements.
  • Your license is revoked and you have not met all reinstatement requirements.
  • Your license is canceled.

This is true in all states that we are aware of due to federal laws in place that are supposed to keep "problem drivers" from obtaining a new driver's license before having their current license reinstated and becoming valid once again.

Beginning in April 1996 the federal government required that all states participate in a program that prevents individuals who have had a suspension issued to them in one state (or more than one state) from obtaining a license in another state. A nationwide computer system now tracks all drivers (or potential drivers) to prevent the issuance of a license to a suspended person.

The National Driver Register (NDR) is the national database that states input information into about problem drivers. The NDR, as it is commonly called, is a central file of State reports on individuals whose licenses to operate a motor vehicle have been suspended, revoked, canceled, or denied, for cause, or who have been convicted of the following serious traffic-related offenses: operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of, or impaired by, alcohol or a controlled substance; a traffic violation arising in connection with a fatal traffic crash, reckless driving, or racing on the highways; failing to give aid or provide identification when involved in a crash resulting in death or personal injury; and perjury or knowingly making a false affidavit or statement to officials about activities governed by a law or regulation on the operation of a motor vehicle.

The NDR's primary purpose is to enable State motor vehicle agencies to share driver record information with each other so that they can make informed decisions about issuing drivers' licenses to individuals, particularly those who move into their States from other jurisdictions.

The Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS) is used to search the National Driver Register. This is a repository of information on problem drivers provided by all 51 U.S. jurisdictions. Based on information received as a result of an NDR search, PDPS will "point" the inquiring jurisdiction to the State of Record(s) (SOR), where an individual's driver status and history information is stored. Based on the information received from the SOR(s), the issuing state will decide if the applicant is eligible to receive a new or renew his driver license.

So with all states now able to easily check on the status of your license when you apply for a driver's license in a new state it is doubtful you can obtain a license in MN or any other state until your issues in Arkansas and you can get your license reinstated there. Once you do get your AR license reinstated than you should be able to apply and obtain a Minnesota driver's license. You can contact the MN DPS to get more information on what they would require of you to apply for a license.

Once you are able to obtain a driver's license in Minnesota you can come to use for affordable auto insurance quotes.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "My license is suspended in Arkansas. Can I get one in Minnesota?"