Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


Over 10,000 questions asked & answered

Hi Penny!

Answering your questions since 2005


I lived in Quebec, Canada and I am moving to Ontario. I have a Class 5 license in Quebec what type of license is that in Ontario - G1, G2 or a full G?


You should contact the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) to make certain of how you change over your Quebec Class 5 license for a license in Ontario, Canada. To the best of our understanding that a Class 5 license from Quebec would match up to a Full G license in Ontario.

If in Quebec you start with a learner's license, then move up to a probationary license and then to a Class 5 than it appear this is similar to in Ontario starting with a G1 (learner's permit) then move up to a G2 (provisional license) and finally a full G license.

In Quebec the SAAQ that says that a Class 5 is a passenger vehicle license and with it you can drive a passenger vehicle (automobile or mini-van) or any double-axle truck or road tractor with a net mass of less than 4,500 kg.

In Ontario a full G license allows one to operate any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kg provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg.

[Let help you find affordable auto insurance now.]

The Ontario MTO notes in its section about exchanging an out of province license that if you have a driver's license from another Canadian province or territory or from another country, your previous driving experience may help you to get an Ontario driver's license sooner. If you hold the equivalent of a learner's permit or novice license from another jurisdiction, you may get credit for your driving experience.

The MTO goes on to say that you are if you are a licensed driver with two or more years of driving experience from another Canadian province you may get full class license privileges without taking a knowledge or road test. However, you must pass a vision test and show acceptable proof of your previous license status and driving experience.

If you have less than two years of driving experience, you may get credit for your experience for graduated licensing and be issued a Class G2 or M2 license. Once you have a total of two years of driving experience, you may take the G2 or M2 road test to earn full driving privileges.

If you hold a controlled class license from a Canadian province or territory, once you are eligible to attempt the G2 road test, you must pass the road test within one year of the license exchange to be issued the equivalent controlled class license. If you pass the G2 road test after one year from the date of exchange, you will be issued a class G license.

So while it would appear your Quebec Class 5 license would match up with a Full G Ontario license how much driving experience you have also makes a difference in what type of license you will receive in Ontario. Contact the MTO Driver & Vehicle Licensing Call Centre at (416) 235-2999 or toll free at 1-800-387-3445 for more information and clarification about the type of license you can obtain in Ontario, Canada.

Get Canadian car insurance quotes here.


Tell us what you think about this answer

Leave a Comment
(required; won't be published)
0 Responses to "I lived in Quebec, Canada and I am moving to Ontario. I have a Class 5 license in Quebec what type of license is that in Ontario - G1, G2 or a full G?"