According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) to apply for a license, such as a G1, you must show proof of your legal name, date of birth (must state the day, month and year of birth) and signature. Documents must be original and valid. Photocopies and expired documents are not acceptable. The following documents are acceptable:
Any one of the following documents may be used to satisfy the requirement to provide proof of legal name, complete date of birth and signature.
- Passport (Canadian or Foreign)
- Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
- Permanent Immigration Documents
- Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or
- Record of Landing (Form 1000) or
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence (Form IMM 5292)
- Temporary Immigration Documents
- Student Authorization (IMM 1442)
- Employment Authorization (IMM 1442)
- Visitor Record (IMM 1442)
- Temporary Resident's Permit (IMM1442)
- Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434)
- Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status (IMM 7703 with photo)
- Report Pursuant to the Immigration Act (IMM 1442 with photo)
A Canadian or US Birth Certificate or Certified Copy of Statement of Live Birth (issued by Ontario only) plus any one of the acceptable documents for proof of signature may satisfy proof of legal name, complete date of birth and signature.
The following documents are acceptable for proof of signature*:
- Driver's License (Canadian and US only)
- Identity Card with signature (issued by Canadian province/territory or US state authority)
- Canadian Certificate of Indian Status
- Ontario Student Card with signature
- Ontario Health Card with applicant's signature (Clients may choose to produce their Ontario Health Card for proof of signature. The Health Card and Health Number will not be recorded or photocopied)
- A Department of National Defense (DND Identity Card)
Note: If an applicant is unable to present one of the above documents as proof of signature, the applicant may present an original, completed 'Declaration from a Guarantor' form attesting to their signature. Applicants must first ensure that no other acceptable documents for signature are available from the list identified above.
For more information about the identification needed to apply for the G1 license contact the MTO directly.