Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Do you need a Pennsylvania driver's license to get Pennsylvania auto insurance?


You do not need a Pennsylvania driver's license to get PA auto insurance with most insurers if you had a valid reason. For instance if you are an out of state college student who needs PA insurance on your out of state vehicle or are a new resident of PA and have not yet changed over your license. You will need a valid US driver's license though to get PA car insurance since your driving record is a main rating factor with car insurance carriers.

If you are a new resident of PA keep in mind that the Pennsylvania DOT's Driver and Vehicle Services states that all new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver's License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency. All new residents are also required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in PA.

As indicated below, individuals are required to have a valid form of Pennsylvania identification in order to make application to title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania. Although new residents have 60 days to obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license, there is nothing to prevent them from obtaining their Pennsylvania driver's license sooner so it is recommended that you do so in order to easily title and register your vehicle.

PennDOT notes that the Department of Driver Services will only allow agents to issue title and registration documents to customers who provide one of the following credentials for identification purposes:

  • a valid Pennsylvania Photo Driver's License
  • a valid Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card
  • a valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Driver's License
  • a valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Identification Card
  • a valid U.S. Armed Forces Common Access Card - Dependents of Armed Forces Personnel must provide a valid United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card (DD Form 1173)

So you do not need a PA driver's license but you will need to show a valid form of ID from the list above so that you can title and register a car in this state. So if you are unable to get a PA driver's license for some reason you may need to check into getting a PA identification card to show was an authorized type of ID to register your car.

When registering a car you must show proof of Pennsylvania auto insurance. This means all motor vehicles subject to registration such as cars, vans, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, trucks and buses must have liability insurance. You are in compliance with the PA law if you have Liability insurance in the following amounts:

  • $15,000 for injury or death of one person in an accident
  • $30,000 for injury or death of more than one person in an accident
  • $5,000 for damage to property of another person

This insurance is referred to as 15/30/5 and you may want to get higher limits to better protect yourself and your assets. Also if you have a lien holder on your vehicle they will normally require you to have Physical Damage coverages of Collision and Comprehensive on the vehicle as well.

So while an insurance company will allow you to start a PA car insurance policy without having a Pennsylvania driver's license if you have moved to this state you will need to obtain a PA license in order to register and title your cars here. You also must obtain a Pennsylvania license within 60 days per PA laws.

To get started getting PA auto insurance quotes online click here.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Do you need a Pennsylvania driver's license to get Pennsylvania auto insurance?"