Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

What happens in North Carolina if you have insurance lapse?

According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation if you have a lapse in you will be sent an "FS 5-7 Notice", which you need to respond to within 10 days. To retain your license plate you must re-certify with correct insurance information (this means the car must have new or proof of current insurance) and submit a payment of $50 within the given 10 day limit.

Failure to respond within the 10 days will result in the loss of your license plate (tags) for 30 days. After those 30 days, to get your plates back you must:

  • provide proof of insurance coverage Form FS-1,
  • pay a $50 civil penalty fee,
  • pay a $50 processing fee,
  • pay the appropriate license plate fee

You will be able to keep your tags if you follow the instructions above.

Follow this link to get a North Carolina auto insurance quote immediately. To get more information about the penalties for a lapse in insurance in North Carolina, contact the state's Division of Motor Vehicles.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "What happens in North Carolina if you have insurance lapse?"