Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


I am a Canadian that is living in Nevada and would like to know if I can just transfer my Canadian driving license to Nevada. I have been driving for 12 years with no suspensions. Can I make the transfer?


We contacted the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see if you could easily transfer your Canadian driver's license for a Nevada driver's license now that you are living in Nevada. They said you can exchange it for a Nevada license but because you are currently licensed in Canada (and never been licensed in the United States) you will be required to take the vision, knowledge and skills tests.

According to Nevada law drivers who have never been licensed or those who currently hold a license from a foreign country or a U.S. territory must take vision, knowledge (written) and skills (driving) tests to obtain a NV driver's license. If you had license from another state in the US you would only be required to take a vision test.

You must be a Nevada resident and provide a Nevada street address to obtain a driver license here. Nevada Revised Statues section 483.141 gives the definition of a resident in NV. Here it says in part that a resident includes a person whose legal residence is in Nevada or has gainful employment in NV. The definition of a resident in NV does not extend and include a tourist to Nevada, an out of state student, a seasonal resident, a border state employee or foreign exchange student.

The Nevada DMV said to remind you that new residents of NV must obtain their Nevada driver's license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You must register your vehicle at the same time or within 60 days, whichever is sooner. If you fail to get your license and registration within the required time period and stopped by law enforcement you can be ticketed which comes with a fine of $1000. The fine can be reduced to $200 upon compliance.

If you brought a vehicle from Canada that you now need to register in Nevada you will need to bring a variety of documents to the NV DMV. Depending upon where in Nevada you are living you may need a vehicle emission inspection report. Smog checks are required on gasoline and diesel powered cars and trucks, 1968 and newer, based in and around Las Vegas and Reno.

New vehicles are exempt on their first and second registration though in these areas. Diesel vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating over 14,000 pounds are also exempt. You must have a Nevada smog check even if your vehicle was recently tested in another state or country. Nevada emissions inspection stations are privately owned so you would just need to find one in your area to take your vehicle to if this emission inspection applies to your vehicle.

All vehicles registered in Nevada needs to get a VIN inspection. Any vehicle or trailer which has not ever been registered or titled in Nevada must have their VIN inspected at a DMV office. Larger NV DMV offices allow you to drive to the VIN inspection station outside the main DMV building to get this done before coming inside to apply for your registration.

As a new resident to Nevada you will be required to surrender you out-of-state / Canadian license plates. If you do not have your former registration slip, the Nevada DMV will need to contact your previous home jurisdiction for verification.

Be ready to pay vehicle registration fees when you register your vehicle. The payment schedule is online at the NV DMV if you want to see the cost to register your vehicle. Various forms of payment are accepted, such as cash, checks, money orders and most credit cards.

One last important document you need to register your vehicle you move to Nevada from Canada with your vehicle is proof of car insurance. Nevada requires that you have the same name(s) on your insurance as you do on your registration; they are specific that the name(s) much match exactly.

The state of Nevada only accepts auto insurance that is issued by a Nevada licensed car insurance carrier. Out of state insurance is not accepted, so yes, you must change over your Canadian auto insurance to Nevada auto insurance. Nevada automobile insurance is necessary to comply with the NV Insurance Verification Program. Your Canadian car insurance would not cover you now anyway normally since you are now a resident of Nevada and not your previous area of Canada.

The minimum Liability insurance requirement in NV is 15/30/10. This stands for a $15,000 limit of Bodily Injury Liability per person and a $30,000 limit of Bodily Injury Liability per accident and a $10,000 limit of Property Damage Liability. The state of Nevada requires that you keep your NV Evidence of Insurance Card that your car insurance company gives you in your vehicle at all times and present it to law enforcement upon request.

When moving to another area, make sure you obtain your new insurance before canceling your old policy so that you do not have a lapse in coverage. This is a good opportunity to do some car insurance comparison shopping as well and make sure you are getting the best price on Nevada car insurance.

If you are searching for low cost car insurance let CarInsurance.com help you out. We offer multiple company insurance rates for personal auto insurance and the ability to purchase from one place; we are ahead of other online insurance companies. Start your free auto insurance quote here to see how companies compete for your business so that you can obtain affordable auto insurance.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "I am a Canadian that is living in Nevada and would like to know if I can just transfer my Canadian driving license to Nevada. I have been driving for 12 years with no suspensions. Can I make the transfer?"