Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


How do I obtain an FR-44?


Question: How do I obtain an FR-44 (certificate of insurance) form?    

Answer:  To obtain the actual FR-44 form you must go through an auto insurance company, even though it's your state requiring that you carry this certificate of financial responsibility.

An FR-44 is a car insurance carrier's verification that you are carrying the right levels of liability coverage.

If you’ve been notified by the state that you need to obtain an FR-44, then you should contact your current car insurance provider to find out if they file FR-44 forms. Not all insurance companies file SR-22s or FR-44s, so it’s possible that your insurer will not be able to help you. In that case, you will need to shop around for a company that does.

Be sure to inform any new insurer of the violation that required the need for the FR-44 and the limits you’ll need to carry. The violation, not the FR-44 form, will normally cause your rates to rise – a lot.

The FR-44 is similar to a SR-22 but only currently required in Florida and Virginia after you have been convicted of certain driving-related violations, most commonly for driving under the influence (DUI). Because the traffic offense was major, the state now sees you as a higher risk, so they require you to carry higher levels of liability insurance.

In Florida, the FR-44 requires bodily injury liability limits of $100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident and property damage liability limits of $50,000. This is written as 100/300/50 and is far higher than the usual state mandated limits of 10/20/10.

In Virginia, the state requires bodily injury liability limits of $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident and property damage liability limits of $40,000. These limits of 50/100/40 are double the state’s normal mandatory limits of 25/50/20.

When going through the quoting process for a new car insurance policy, you’ll need to indicate "Yes" when asked either "Does this driver require a financial responsibility filing?" or “Are you required to carry a court-ordered financial responsibility filing?” so that you can be directed to a car insurance company that can file the FR-44 on your behalf, after you purchase the policy.

If you’d like to get started now with a quote for the insurance coverage you need, we have partners that offer insurance policies that include an FR-44 filing.

More articles from Penny Gusner


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "How do I obtain an FR-44?"