Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

Options for an irresponsible teen driver

Question: My fiancé and his children moved into my house. I added my fiancé to my car insurance policy. His son has a permit and isn’t required to be on the policy yet, but soon will be eligible for his license. The problem is that I don't think he is responsible enough.  What can I do to keep him from being on my policy or driving my cars?  

Answer: Inexperienced teens are a high-risk class of drivers for car insurance companies, which make their rates high as well. If your fiancé’s son is especially reckless and proves you right by crashing or getting a ticket, your rates would go up even more.  Thus, it’s a good idea to keep an irresponsible teen from driving and being on your policy if possible.

Your basic options are:

  • Don’t allow the teen to get a license.
  • Exclude the teen from your car insurance policy.
  • Get the young driver his own car and policy.

Deny teen a license

A parent is required to sign for a teenager to get a permit or license, so your fiancé can choose not to give his approval for his son to receive a license.  If this is done, and the son stays with the permit (and your insurer isn’t charging you at this licensing level) or turns the permit in, then your policy should stay as it is.

A lot of young adults are putting off obtaining a driver’s license, so the teen may agree with waiting to be licensed and make your life easier for now.

A kink in this choice may be if the teen doesn’t agree to wait and gets either his father who lives with you, or his mother who lives elsewhere, to sign for him to get his license.

If the teen gets his driver’s license, then as a licensed household member that has access to your vehicles -- in the mind of your car insurance provider -- even if you don’t allow him to drive your cars. You’ll be required to add him to your policy as a driver or exclude him altogether.

Exclude teen from policy

If your fiancé’s son gets licensed, then you would need to exclude him to keep him off of your policy.  Not all states allow driver exclusions on a car insurance policy, and where it is permitted not all insurers offer this option.

Signing a named driver exclusion form for your stepson would mean that he wouldn’t be covered by your car insurance coverages if he drove your insured vehicles, even in an emergency situation.  This would save you money since he wouldn’t be rated on your policy; however, you may be charged a small surcharge for the exclusion. 

Get teen his own policy

If the teen does get his license and his dad believes his son should drive, but you under no circumstances want him operating your cars or being on your policy, then a third option is for the teen to get his own car and car insurance policy. 

Usually this option is more expensive than a child being on a parent’s policy.  Also, his father would have to sign on the insurance policy with him since the child is under 18.  

Before you take any action regarding this teenage driver, you need to discuss your concerns with your fiancé and see if he agrees about his son’s maturity level – especially behind the wheel. If he agrees, then decide which option works best for your situation.

Whenever this young driver does get licensed, it will be important for you to compare car insurance quotes and find the company offering the cheapest rates for your household’s needs. 

More articles from Penny Gusner


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Options for an irresponsible teen driver"