Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

When I move to another state, how long do I have before I have to get a new license, insurance, etc? I am moving from Maryland to Virginia.


State laws differ however most states do have laws in place that you must change over your driver's license, vehicle registration and plates, etc within a certain amount of time after moving to the state and becoming a resident. Typically the amount of time given is 30 days but again this varies by state.

In Virginia their laws, according to the VA Department of Motor Vehicles, require you to title and register your vehicle with the Commonwealth of Virginia within 30 days of moving to VA.

Within 60 days of moving to VA, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license. However, if you hold a commercial driver's license (CDL), you must obtain a Virginia CDL within 30 days.

If you are age 19 or older and you hold a valid driver's license issued by a U.S. state or territory, a Canadian province, France or Germany, you may not be required to:

  • take the two-part knowledge exam or the road skills test
  • show proof of successful completion of driver education; or
  • hold a learner's permit for 30 days.

However, you must pass a vision screening to exchange your valid Maryland driver's license for a Virginia driver's license.

The VA DMV also notes that Canadian or US licenses must be surrendered when you apply for a Virginia driver's license. They advise that you photocopy your out-of-state driver's license before surrendering it since you may need it for insurance or licensing purposes.

Your car must pass an annual vehicle safety to ensure that your vehicle is mechanically safe to operate on the highways of the Commonwealth.So you should contact the VA State Police to find out more about the inspection process for VA.

In Virginia from the moment you register your vehicle to the day the registration period expires, your vehicle must be covered by a liability policy issued by an insurance company licensed to do business in Virginia, even if the vehicle is not working or not being used.

Virginia law requires the following minimum liability insurance coverage for all registered vehicles:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person;
  • $50,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more people; and
  • $20,000 for property damage

This is referred to as 25/50/20.You will need this as we mentioned from the moment your car is registered with Virginia.You can start shopping for your VA car insurance here with us by getting free auto insurance quotes.

For more information on how long you have to change over your license, etc from Maryland to Virginia once you move and what specific steps you need to take to make the changes, contact the VA DMV directly.


Tell us your thoughts

Leave a Comment
1 Responses to "When I move to another state, how long do I have before I have to get a new license, insurance, etc? I am moving from Maryland to Virginia."
  1. Anonymous

    you did not answer my question........

Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided are for information purposes. They are not intended to substitute informed professional advice. These responses should not be interpreted as a recommendation to buy or sell any insurance product, or to provide financial or legal advice. Please refer to your insurance policy for specific coverage and exclusion information. Please read our Terms of Service.