Detroit drivers pay the highest car insurance premiums in the nation, according to CarInsurance.com's analysis of rates for a 2014 Honda Accord with full coverage for 33,401 ZIP codes.
ZIP codes in Brooklyn and Philadelphia rank second and third, respectively, behind Detroit.
Drivers can enter a ZIP code in CarInsurance.com’s average car insurance rates tool to see the average premium for the location, as well as the highest and lowest rates.
The top 10 most expensive locations for car insurance rates are:
1. Detroit, Michigan, in ZIP code 48227: $5,109
(130 % increase over state average of $2,226)
2. Brooklyn, New York, in ZIP code 11226: $3,877
(151% increase over state average of $1,542)
3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in ZIP code 19132: $2,760
(128% increase over state average of $1,210)
4. Providence, Rhode Island, in ZIP code 02903: $2,749
(38% increase over state average of $2,000)
5. New Orleans, Louisiana in ZIP code 70117: $2,542
(53% increase over state average of $1,657)
6. Los Angeles, California in ZIP code 90029: $2,416
(69% increase over state average of $1,433)
7. Woodbridge, Connecticut, in ZIP code 06525: $2,291
(50% increase over state average of $1,527)
8. Baltimore, Maryland, in ZIP code 21216: $2,256
(79% increase over state average of $1,258)
9. Miami, Florida, in ZIP code 33142: $2,248
(60% increase over state average of $1,402)
10. Royalton, Kentucky, in ZIP: code 41464: $2,104
(42% increase over state average of $1,484)
Car insurance companies assess many factors when setting rates, and your location is chief among them. Based on the number and severity of car insurance claims within the area, insurers assign ZIP codes different risk levels. Insurers take into account the frequency of thefts, collisions and vandalism to gauge the likelihood of such incidents happening to drivers within the ZIP code. This is used as the base rate from which insurers calculate your premium. Other pricing factors, such as your driving record, type of car you drive and your age are then added into the calculation. Every car insurance company uses its own base rate and formula, which is why rates can vary so much, and why it's important to comparison shop.
CarInsurance.com's analysis showed a national average rate of $1,231, and several locations, including Palo Alto, California, and Denver, Colorado, mirror that average.
The top 10 least expensive locations for car insurance rates are:
1.Green Springs, Ohio, in ZIP code 44836: $647
(16% lower than the state average of $771)
2. Arden, North Carolina, in ZIP code 28704: $671
(16% lower than the state average of $800)
3. Saco, Maine, in ZIP code 04072: $709
(7% less than the state average of $763)
4. Christiansburg, Virginia, in ZIP code 24073: $751
(16% less than the state average of $899)
5. Boise, Idaho, in ZIP code 83706: $753
(9% lower than the state average of $831)
6. Lake Havasu City, Arizona, in ZIP code 86403: $769
(25% lower than the state average of $1,021)
7. West Lafayette, Indiana, in ZIP code 47907: $770
(14% lower than the state average of $891)
8. Allouez, Wisconsin, in ZIP code 54302: $776
(15% lower than the state average of $908)
9. Concord, New Hampshire, in ZIP code 03303: $785
(9% lower than the state average of $864)
10. Normal, Illinois, in ZIP code 61761: $827
(17% lower than the state average of $1,001)
CarInsurance.com commissioned Quadrant Information Services to run auto insurance rates for a 2014 Honda Accord for 33,410 ZIP codes in the United States. We calculated rates using six large carriers (Allstate, Farmers, GEICO, Nationwide, Progressive and State Farm).
Averages are based on insurance for a single 40-year-old male who commutes 12 miles to work each day, with policy limits of 100/300/50 ($100,000 for injury liability for one person, $300,000 for all injuries and $50,000 for property damage in an accident) and a $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive coverage. This hypothetical driver has a clean record and good credit. The rate includes uninsured motorist coverage. Average rates are for comparative purposes. Your own rate will depend on your personal factors and vehicle.