Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Can you own a car that will not be driven (i.e. parts car) without insurance in the state of Florida?


According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles if you own a vehicle with at least four wheels and are registering it, you must have Florida insurance. Thus all registered cars in Florida require Florida auto insurance.

Florida's minimum coverage is $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 property damage liability (PDL) as long as you have a valid Florida tag, even if the vehicle is in another state or inoperative. There are no exemptions in the law according to the FL HSMV; insurance coverage must be maintained throughout the entire vehicle registration period.

Since a parts car is not likely to be registered it may be possible to keep this inoperable car without insuring if it is not being driven and if it is kept off of public roadways and if your county allows it. On the HSMV site there is a FAQ that notes that some counties in Florida require that all vehicles remain registered, if this is the case in your area then you will need to keep the car registered and insured.

Contact the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, their Customer Service Center number is 850-922-9000 to find out for certain if you are able to keep an undrivable car (parts car) without having it registered or insured.

Get affordable Florida car insurance here with us.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Can you own a car that will not be driven (i.e. parts car) without insurance in the state of Florida?"