Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


How do you insure a driver without a vehicle?


A driver that does not own a vehicle can in most states obtain a non-owners auto insurance policy as a way to be insured. A non-owner's policy (also known as an operator policy) is usually written by an insurance company when a person needs coverage for his or her personal operation of a vehicle not owned by him or a family member.

Non-owners insurance is coverage to give a motorist liability protection for when they are at fault in an accident but do not own a vehicle. Non owners and operator policies typically include liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages.

Non-owners policies generally do not include comprehensive, collision, towing reimbursement, or rental reimbursement coverage. A non-owners policy of a driver would normally be secondary to the insurance put on the vehicle by the owner. The car owner's insurance policy would be primary. So a non-owners policy's liability coverages would be used if the primary liability limits have been exceeded.

If you do not own a car nor is there a vehicle owned by anyone in your household and want to get a non-owners policy, you first will need to find an auto insurance carrier that offers this type of policy. Then you will need to meet the underwriting criteria of that insurance provider.

Since insurance companies' guidelines and underwriting criteria can differ, you will need to find out what the qualifications are for obtaining a non-owners policy from the insurer that offers you this type of coverage. Usually the criteria would at least include not owning a vehicle and having a valid driver's license.

To see if a non-owners policy is available through our car insurance company affiliates in your area, follow this link for free auto insurance quotes.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "How do you insure a driver without a vehicle?"