Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Will my insurance cover my car if someone else is driving it? I live in Vegas.


Nevada law requires that the insurance policy must minimally provide coverage in the amount of $15,000 for bodily injury or death of one person in an accident, $30,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more persons in an accident, and $10,000 for injury or damage to the property of others. This coverage is generally described as 15/30/10.

The Nevada Division of Insurance gives the following information about these required liability policies.

Bodily injury (BI) liability insurance does not protect you or your car directly. If you are the cause of an accident in which other people are injured, this insurance protects you against their claims for damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. This insurance coverage will also normally pay if a member of your family living with you caused the accident, or if it was caused by a person using your car with your consent.

Property damage (PD) liability insurance pays for damage you cause to the property of others, such as a crushed fender, broken glass, or a damaged wall or fence. Your insurance will pay for this damage whether you are driving your automobile or whether it is being driven by another person with your consent usually.

The NV DOI also gives information on an operator's policy which is different from standard liability insurance. This type of insurance coverage insures the driver, not the car. That is, the driver would be insured no matter what vehicle was driven.

An operator's policy's coverage does not cover another person driving your car with or without your consent. According to Nevada Revised Statute 485.186, another important requirement of an operator's policy is that the number of motor vehicles that the policyholder owns must be greater than the number of persons in his household who possess a driver's license. Therefore, each person in his household who possesses a driver's license is covered by the operator's policy of liability insurance. This type of auto insurance is intended primarily to serve the needs of automobile collectors.

So normally if you have a standard liability policy (not an operator's policy) your BI and PD extend to a person that you let use your car with your consent or permission. However these types of coverages do not cover your car for damages it sustains in accidents, it covers others injuries or property damages that your vehicle caused.

To cover your own vehicle you would need "full coverages" of collision and comprehensive on your car. These physical damages coverages protect your car when in a collision or "other than collision" (comprehensive) situation.

In general these coverages should cover your vehicle if you give permission to someone else to drive it however insurance policy terms can differ so you would need to read through your policy and speak with your agent to make certain that collision, comprehensive and your liability coverages would all extend to those that you give consent to drive your vehicle.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Will my insurance cover my car if someone else is driving it? I live in Vegas."