Renting a moving truck may save you money, but make certain you know what risks you are taking on with regard to insurance. (See "Rental trucks: You aren't covered")
Do-it-yourself-moving giant U-Haul offers these tips for those planning a move:
- Check with your insurer ahead of time to see if they cover moving trucks.
- Plan ahead, especially if you are moving during the prime summer months. Reserve a truck at least a few weeks in advance.
- Load the heaviest items first and put them on the floor at the front of the truck. Pack all items closely.
- Pack strategically. Put items that you will need at your new house (towels, sheets, clothes) in a clothes hamper or clearly marked box, so you know where they are located.
- Give yourself time for the rental process. Be sure to conduct an extensive walk-around inspection of the vehicle. Ask questio
- Always secure the back of the truck with a padlock and lock the doors of the vehicle.