Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Does my liability car insurance cover damage to the car caused by acts of nature, or theft or vandalism?


No. Liability coverage alone does not protect your car for damages sustained by acts of nature, vandalism or theft. For these acts to be covered by your car insurance policy you would need Comprehensive coverage.

Liability-only coverage for car insurance does not cover your own vehicle in any way. Liability coverages are there to pay for damages you cause to others, either their vehicle or injuries to their body.

Your Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) covers other people's bodily injuries or death for which you are responsible. Claims for bodily injury may be for such things as medical bills, loss of income or pain and suffering. Bodily Injury Liability does NOT cover you or other people on your policy.  

Your Property Damage Liability (PDL) coverage covers damages someone else's property. Normally this coverage is for when you damage another vehicle, but it could be used if you also hit someone else's fence, house or any other party's property that you damaged in an accident. 

PDL in no way covers your own vehicle when it is damaged by another car or an act beyond your control like a hail storm or theft, for this you need the physical damage coverage of Comprehensive also sometimes referred to as "other than collision" or OTC.

Comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car if it is stolen; or damaged by flood, fire, acts of vandalism or animals. So acts of nature like a hail storm damaging your car or causing a branch to fall on your car would be covered under this type of physical damage coverage. Vandals breaking your windows or your car being stolen would also be covered by Comprehensive insurance.

If get "full coverage" for your car most people also purchase Collision coverage. Collision covers your vehicle when your car hits, or is hit by, another vehicle, or other object or the upset of your car. So regardless of fault if you are in an accident your car will be covered by Collision coverage. If you drive off the road into a ditch, Collision would cover the damages. And if you lost control of your car and rolled it, again Collision coverage is what you would need to pay for the damages the vehicle sustained.

If you are want to add Comprehensive coverage to your auto insurance policy you likely will also have to get Collision coverage as well. State laws and insurance companies' guidelines vary but many car insurance companies require you to have Collision to purchase Comprehensive coverage. As we mentioned Comprehensive is also known as Other Than Collision so insurers want you to have Collision in order to get the coverages for Other Than Collision. 

Agents at CarInsurance.com can not only explain insurance terms, coverages and claim procedures but also they can explain how they can get you the best car insurance rates for a policy with Liability only or full coverage with Collision and Comprehensive.

CarInsurance.com is an Online Insurance Marketplace™ which gives consumers the opportunity to shop and compare insurance companies online. We offer the ability to shop for car insurance online and the ability to purchase your policy directly through CarInsurance.com, so get started with instant car insurance quotes now.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Does my liability car insurance cover damage to the car caused by acts of nature, or theft or vandalism?"