Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


I have moved to New Jersey. How long do I have legally before I have to change my car registration to NJ?


According to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, if you have moved to New Jersey and plan to stay here for more than 6 months, you will need to get a new driver license, transfer your title, and register your vehicle.

If you have recently moved to New Jersey, you are required to transfer your out-of-state license within 60 days of permanent New Jersey residency or before your current license expires. Your license cannot be transferred to a New Jersey license if you are under 18 years old.

You must register your vehicles within 60 days or before your out-of-state registration expires (whichever is first). You can visit any MVC agency to register you car. The steps and documents needed to register your vehicle include:

  • If you have a lien on the title, you will need to submit an application (ISM/SS-54) to the lien holder to release the title
  • If you leased the vehicle, you must contact the leasing company to have your vehicle registered and titled in New Jersey
  • The name of your insurance company and policy number
  • Proof of Social Security (or exemption)
  • Your vehicle's odometer reading
  • Your current New Jersey driver license number (If you are unlicensed, a number will be assigned to you once you have presented acceptable proof of identification)
  • Complete an application for titling (Form ISM/SS-7) and registration (Form BA-49)
  • Fill out the sales tax stamp on the application (Form ISM/SS-7). You will not be charged sales tax, but this form must be completed noting the proper exemption (exemption 7)

You can contact the NJ MVC for a complete listing of registration fees. You will also need to get your vehicle inspected at a MVC inspection station or a private inspection facility within 14 days of registration. For this you will need a valid driver license, new registration and a proof of NJ insurance.

For an affordable auto insurance quote for New Jersey, follow this link.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "I have moved to New Jersey. How long do I have legally before I have to change my car registration to NJ?"