Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Can you get full coverage on salvaged titles in California?


While not all auto insurance companies will offer you Liability and Physical Damage coverages of Collision and Comprehensive (what people usually refer to as Full Coverage) for a car with a salvaged title there are some insurance providers in California that will. We have heard that both Progressive and Mercury offer full coverage to salvaged vehicles in California.

Salvaged vehicles in California have their title marked with a "salvaged" brand. In CA this means that the vehicle was involved in an accident or incurred considerable damage from another source, such as a flood or vandalism. This brand includes previously dismantled (junked) vehicles.

A vehicle becomes "salvage" when it has been wrecked or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair. The title, license plates, and a required fee are submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and a Salvage Certificate is issued for the vehicle.

A "revived salvage" vehicle is one that was reported by the owner or insurance company as a total loss and has been restored to operational condition. After being repaired and re-registered with the DMV it is titled as Revived. In other states this may be known as a "rebuilt" vehicle.

To re-register a salvage vehicle you will need to have bills of sale for all the major and minor parts used in the reconstruction of your vehicle. Then an application for registration along with a vehicle construction statement will need to be given to the DMV. Revived salvage vehicles are also required to be inspected by the DMV or the California Highway Patrol (CHP) before DMV can issue title and registration.

So if you are buying a salvaged vehicle in CA you should see if it is actually been fixed and now is titled as Revived. Or if your car was totaled out and you decided to buy it back and repair it yourself than you should contact the CA Department of Motor Vehicles to find out more about how to re-register it and get it titled as Revived so that it is street worthy and insurable.

You can check with our partners to see if they can offer you the type of coverage you need for a salvage vehicle in California by getting auto insurance rate quotes here.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Can you get full coverage on salvaged titles in California?"