Key Highlights
  • Most states need a mandated state inspection before allowing a car with a restored title to drive again. 
  • In Arizona, you must pass a Level III inspection—the state’s highest level inspection—in order to exchange a salvage title for a restored title. 
  • If the automobile has enough worth and you want it, you can locate some auto insurance companies that will offer complete coverage for a restored titled vehicle. Once the car is authorized to be back on the road, it will need at least the state’s minimal Liability coverages. 
  • You can compare auto insurance providers using to locate one that will allow you to insure a car with a rebuilt or repaired title. 

What is a restored title? Can I get insurance on a car with a restored title?

A restored title is basically the same as a rebuilt title and yes, it is possible in many cases to get full coverage on it but only with some car insurance companies.

Different states have different names for vehicles that have branded instead of clean titles. There is the salvage title, which is not allowed on the roadway, and then what some call a rebuilt title, reconstructed title or restored title which is permitted to be driven.

A rebuilt/restored title normally means that the vehicle was found to be salvage, say after a motor vehicle accident where the car insurance company totaled it out, but then the car was repaired or restored to working condition. In most states to get a restored title back on the roadway the vehicle must pass a mandatory state inspection.

Arizona is one state that uses the term restored title. They define a restored salvage vehicle as one that was previously issued a certificate of title branded as salvage title, but has now been repaired/restored, then inspected for roadworthiness and issued a title branded as restored salvage.

In Arizona, to change over a salvage title for a restored title you must pass a Level III inspection, the highest level inspection the state does. This inspection is conducted by specially certified Arizona Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) agents for restored salvage vehicles and currently cost $50. If the car passes and the car owner has the proper registration and title paperwork they can pay fees and get the car back on the road with a restored salvage title.

In other states, when one wants a restored or rebuilt title, the car owner must go through a similar process. Once the vehicle is allowed to be back on the road it will need at least the state’s minimum Liability coverages, but if the car has enough value and you want it then you can find some auto insurance companies that will provide full coverage for a restored titled vehicle. can help you compare car insurance companies and help you find one that can help you insure a vehicle with a rebuilt/restored title.  One such company we work with is Progressive. You can start your instant car insurance quote here. At the end of your quote, select Progressive and we will ask all the necessary questions to determine eligibility and get you a policy for your vehicle that has a rebuilt “branded” title.

Or, phone our call center toll-free at 1-855-430-7658. Our agents will help you obtain a quote for the coverage you need for your vehicle with a branded title.