- Car insurance for teens: How much is insurance for 18 year olds?
- How much is car insurance for an 18-year-old female in each state?
- Car insurance costs in every state for an 18-year-old male
- Car insurance for 18-year-olds is pricey with their own policies
- What are the cheapest car insurance companies for 18 year olds?
- How do you get cheaper insurance for 18 year olds?
- Car insurance discounts for 18 year olds
- Shop around for car insurance for 18 year olds
- Resources & Methodology
Most drivers who are 18 have had two years of driving under their belts, and that experience begins to pay off in lower car insurance rates. The average auto insurance rate for an 18 year old on their own policy is $5,565 a year for full coverage – $464 per month.
That rate is $3,883 higher than the national average of $1,682 for 40-year-old drivers. However, the rate for 18 year olds is significantly lower than the cost for 16 year olds ($7,625 per year and $635 a month) and 17 year old drivers ($6,272 per year and $523 per month).
As drivers gain more experience and improve their behind-the-wheel performance, car insurance rates are likely to drop, says Carole Walker, executive director of the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association.
“While teen drivers will pay more for car insurance even with a clean driving record, steering clear of at-fault crashes and citations will help them keep their insurance premiums lower,” she says.
In fact, the risk of car crashes is highest among teens aged 16-19 than in any other age group, according to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. And per mile driven, teen drivers 16-19 are almost three times as likely to be in a fatal crash than drivers 20 or older.
Read more to learn how much car insurance is for 18 year olds.
- For a full coverage policy, an 18 year old teen driver pays $5,565 per year or $464 a month for car insurance, on average.
- Female drivers who are 18 pay $4,918 on average, or $647 less than males their age. By contrast, 18 year old male drivers pay about $5,565 per year, on average, for their own car insurance policies.
- Island, North Carolina Farm Bureau, New Jersey Manufacturers, USAA and Erie were among those with the cheapest car insurance for 18 year olds among carriers surveyed by CarInsurance.com.
Car insurance for teens: How much is insurance for 18 year olds?
Cost for car insurance for an 18 year old with their own policy per year:
- State minimum coverage: $1,786
- Liability limits of 50/100/50: $2,149
- Liability limits of 100/300/100, with comprehensive and collision coverage and a $500 deductible: $5,565
How much you pay to insure your teen driver will vary depending on factors like
- Your insurance company
- Whether the teen has his or her own policy, or is added to yours
- State of residence
- Type of car driven
- Coverage limits
To give you an idea of what to expect to pay for coverage, check out the average annual rates by state in the charts below.
How much is car insurance for an 18-year-old female in each state?
The nationwide average cost for insurance for an 18-year-old female on her own policy is $4,918. Teen female drivers aged 18 pay $647 less than males their age. Below, you’ll see average insurance costs by state for an 18-year-old female compared to the price of a parent policy that adds an 18 year old.
Car insurance costs in every state for an 18-year-old male
Males aged 18 pay, on average, $5,565 annually for their own full-coverage insurance policy, which is $647 more than their female counterparts. Compare rates for a male 18 year old with his own policy to that of being added to a parent’s policy.
Car insurance for 18-year-olds is pricey with their own policies
Car insurance for young drivers is much cheaper when parents add the teen to their existing policy. As young drivers gain more experience, their rates should drop. You’ll see in the chart below how much it costs to add a teen driver to a parent policy and how much you save.
What are the cheapest car insurance companies for 18 year olds?
Below you’ll see how major carriers compare on rates when you add a teen driver age 18 to your coverage.
How much is insurance for 18 year old females with parents?
In this scenario, Island, North Carolina Farm Bureau, New Jersey Manufacturers, USAA and Nationwide were the cheapest among insurance companies we surveyed for adding a female.
How much is insurance for 18 year old males with parents?
Island, North Carolina Farm Bureau, New Jersey Manufacturers, USAA and Nationwide were cheapest for adding 18-year-old male motorists.
How much is insurance for 18 year old females?
If your teen is buying her own policy, Island, North Carolina Farm Bureau, Erie Insurance, USAA and New Jersey Manufacturers came in with the lowest female rates for full coverage.
How much is insurance for 18 year old males?
For male drivers, aged 18 on their own insurance policies, Island, North Carolina Farm Bureau, USAA, New Jersey Manufacturers and Erie are among the national carriers with the cheapest car insurance rates.
How do you get cheaper insurance for 18 year olds?
Rather than skimping on coverage, a better idea is to maximize discounts and shop around regularly for the best insurance coverage. Accident- and ticket-free driving, comparison shopping and maximizing discounts will help you find the cheapest car insurance rates for teens.
“Many big car insurance companies offer discounts to good students. Students are eligible for discounts if they have excellent academic performance, such as a high GPA or high test scores on SAT or ACT,” says associate professor Ting Liu of the College of Arts and Sciences at Stony Brook University.
“Some companies offer multiple policy discounts. For example, if a student needs renters insurance and car insurance, it is a good idea to buy the two policies from the same company and ask for a multiple policy discount.”
Car insurance discounts for 18 year olds
Here are some typical car insurance discounts for teens:
- Good student discount: A savings up to 16% may be available for drivers who maintain a 3.0 or “B” average in the classroom, but the average is 7%.
- Student-away discount: College students who live away from home could qualify for this discount.
Shop around for car insurance for 18 year olds
Adding a teen to an insurance policy or teens getting their own car insurance is costly. The best way to minimize the pain is to shop around. Compare car insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies. Each insurer uses its own method for calculating what you pay, so prices for the same policy vary.
There is some good news. Car insurance gets cheaper as you age. Average car insurance rates by age show that premiums begin to decrease significantly when drivers turn 26. CarInsurance.com has guides for car insurance for a 16-year-old, 17-year-old and 19-year-old that break down rates for car insurance for teens.
Resources & Methodology
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. “Teen Drivers: Get the Facts.” Accessed June 2022.
- Governors Highway Safety Association. “Teen and Novice Drivers.” Accessed June 2022.
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Highway Loss Data Institute. “Teenagers.” Accessed June 2022.
CarInsurance.com commissioned Quadrant Information Services in 2022 to field rates for auto coverage data by ZIP code for 16-year-old and 40-year-old drivers.
– Michelle Megna contributed to this story.