Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

Which states share DUI information?

If you get a ticket out-of-state, just assume it will get back to your home state.  Whether an out-of-state DUI will affect your home state license or state car insurance rates will depend upon your state laws and if the item is placed on your home record.

Most states have reciprocal agreements with each other -- or otherwise have decided -- to share traffic violation convictions that were received out of state back to the licensing state of the driver who received the citation. This can be for a minor offense such as a speeding ticket or a major offense such as a DUI.

The main reciprocal agreements with regards to traffic violations are the Drivers License Compact (DLC) and Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC). There is also the Drivers License Agreement (DLA); however, it does not yet have the state membership that the other two Compacts currently have. There are states that do not take part in any of these compacts but instead have their own separate agreements that their Motor Vehicle administration has made with other states.

As a member of the DLC member states are required to report ticket convictions received by a motorist back to the state where they are licensed to drive. Their own state then determines if this offense will be placed on their driving record and if any points will be assessed.

All states except Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin are members of the DLC.  Though most of these states still have their own agreements with other states to exchange information regarding traffic tickets.

The Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) requires member states to suspend the drivers license of those who get traffic tickets for moving violations in other states and fail to pay them or otherwise legally take care of them.

All states except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin are members of the NRVC. Again, they may have their own agreements though with other states and may still suspend or penalize a driver that does not pay their out-of-state ticket.

The DLC and the NRVC are supposedly being revised and combined into the new Driver License Agreement (DLA) but so far only Connecticut, Massachusetts and Arkansas have signed up as members.

So if your state and the state where you received the DUI are part of the DLC, then for certain the DUI will be known to your home state. 

Once it's known, your state may add it to your driving record or place it's own penalties on you -- such as restricting your license.

It's possible that the ouf-of-state DMV could drop the ball and not inform your home state of the DUI.  However, if the state where you received the DUI suspended or revoked your license, then this information would be put in the National Driver Register (NDR).

The NDR contains records on those who have had their licenses revoked or suspended, or who have been convicted of serious traffic violations (i.e. DUI) throughout the United States. So due to this national database if you have received a DUI in one state, any other state in the United States will be able to see that you were convicted of this major offense if they check the NDR.

When a person applies for a driver's license the state DMV is instructed to check and see if that driver's name is on file with the NDR. If that person has been reported to the NDR as a problem driver, a license may be denied until the issue has taken care of and their license has been reinstated in the state that has the hold on their license.

Thus, even if your home state wasn't specifically notified by another state of your DUI and punishment out-of-state, when you go to renew your home license you could a license issue in the state where you had the DUI is causing you problems in your home state.

For information on what states your home state shares information with, check with your Department of Motor Vehicles. As you can see if you have a DUI in one state and are now looking to move and get a driver's license or insurance in another state, then that new state should see that you had a DUI previously. If you got a DUI out of state, then likely your home state will be informed by the state in which you were convicted of the drunk driving charge.

If you are looking for insurance with a DUI on your record, we can help you compare car insurance costs -- even if you need a SR-22.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Which states share DUI information?"