Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


How and where can I buy a non-owner auto insurance?


CarInsurance.com now offers this in most states. Non-owners insurance is meant to give coverage to a motorist liability protection for when they are at fault in an accident but do not own a vehicle. Non-owners policies can typically include Liability, Medical Payments, and Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverages.

Non owner policies generally do not include Comprehensive, Collision, Towing Reimbursement, or Rental Reimbursement coverage. A non-owner's policy of a driver would normally be secondary to the insurance put on the vehicle by the owner. This means the car owner of the vehicle you are borrowing would be primary and your non owner's policy would only be used if their limits were exceeded and your insurance was needed as secondary or excess insurance.

If you do not own a car nor is there a vehicle owned by anyone in your household that you could use to obtain insurance on and want to get a non-owners policy, you first will need to find an auto insurance carrier that offers this type of policy. Then you will need to meet the underwriting criteria of that insurance provider.

Since insurance companies' guidelines and underwriting criteria can differ, you will need to find out what the qualifications are for obtaining a non-owners policy from the insurer that offers you this type of coverage. Usually the criteria would at least include not owning a vehicle and having a valid driver's license.

At CarInsurance.com we are not able to offer non-owners insurance in every state online but if we can offer this type of policy in your state then on the vehicle screen it will have the option of choosing "Check this box if you do not own a vehicle and would like to purchase a non-owners policy." To see if a non-owners policy is available through our car insurance company affiliates in your area, click here quick quote

If you have been searching for this type of coverage and have been unable to find a carrier thus far and we are unable to offer you coverage in your area than the best way to try next is to contact some local independent agents that have access to multiple non-standard carriers.

You may also want to try contacting the consumer division of your state's insurance regulator to see if they may have a list of auto insurance companies that offer non-owner policies that would fit your needs.

Once you find an insurance company in your area that offers non-owner policies than you will need to apply for insurance just as you would with an owners policy. For a non-owners policy you will need your driver's license number and all normal items that are usually necessary when applying for an auto policy.

Typically that includes the following items:

  • Driver's License Numbers for all drivers
  • Social Security Numbers for all drivers (if applicable)
  • Credit card/checking account information

You will also need to have answers to questions in these categories:

  • General questions
  • Drivers/Household Residents
  • Violations or Incidents
  • Coverage Selection
  • Account Setup

A non-owner auto liability policy will generally cost somewhere between $200 and $300 a year, it will depend upon the rating guidelines of the insurance company in which you obtain a policy from.

Rating factors such as your driving record will be looked at. This type of policy is cheaper than an owner's policy since you do not have a specific motor vehicle to cover. Also you are not as much of a risk as a car owner to an insurance carrier since you will not normally drive as much as a person who has their own vehicle and drives on a daily basis.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "How and where can I buy a non-owner auto insurance?"