Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


If a car hits an animal is it paid under collision or comprehensive for auto insurance?


If you hit an animal it should be covered under your Comprehensive coverage portion of your car insurance policy.

While most things that you collide with are covered under your Collision coverage, striking an animal with your car is covered under Comprehensive coverage. You can either hit an animal or be hit by one that runs into your vehicle and make a claim under your Comprehensive coverage.

Comprehensive coverage covers damage to your vehicle by an animal in this manner as well as if you drive through flood waters, a tree falls on your car, vandalism, glass breakage and things of this nature that are not covered by your Collision coverage. Your Comprehensive coverage will cover the damages whether you hit a domestic animal like a dog or a wild animal like a deer.

It is best to get a police report following the incident and proof that the damage was from an incident with an animal or else if the damages appear to be from hitting another object your car insurance company could place the claim under your Collision coverage.

If you have been in an accident with an animal, get a police report, take pictures if possible and contact your automobile insurance company to place a claim. Your agent or the insurance adjuster assigned to your claim should be able to help you with the claims process.

If your agent is not able to explain to you what to do in this situation or fulfill your car insurance needs, contact a CarInsurance.com agent and they can explain not only insurance terms and explain claim procedures but also tell you how they can get you low cost car insurance.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "If a car hits an animal is it paid under collision or comprehensive for auto insurance?"