Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753

How do you change over your license, registration and car insurance if you move to Nevada?

There are various items you will need to transfer over your license and registration from another state to Nevada. First you need your valid out-of-state license. The Nevada DMV says this must contain your name and date of birth. You must also provide additional proof of identity such as a birth certificate, passport or one of the other approved documents listed on the proof of identity list that you can view online at the Nevada DMV website. Your existing license will be hole-punched and returned to you along with an interim document that allows you to drive because your new Nevada license will be mailed to shortly (in 7 to 10 days) after you fulfill the application process.

For registering your vehicle in Nevada you again will need to bring a variety of documents to the DMV. First you may need a vehicle emission inspection report, if it is required in your area of Nevada.

Smog checks are required on gasoline and diesel powered cars and trucks, 1968 and newer, based in and around Las Vegas and Reno. New vehicles are exempt on their first and second registration though. Diesel vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating over 14,000 pounds are also exempt. You must have a Nevada smog check even if your vehicle was recently tested in another state. Nevada emissions inspection stations are privately owned so you would just need to find one in your area to take your vehicle to if this applies to your vehicle.

You will need for certain a VIN inspection on your vehicle. Any vehicle or trailer which has not ever been registered or titled in Nevada must have their VIN inspected at a DMV office. Larger NV DMV offices allow you to drive to the VIN inspection station outside the main DMV building to get this done before coming inside to apply for your registration.

As a new resident to Nevada you will be required to surrender you out-of-state plates. If you do not have your former registration slip, the Nevada DMV will need to contact your previous home state for verification. If your out-of-state registration has expired you will be subject to late fees in Nevada. If you have a trailer then be aware that most trailers must be registered and titled if used on any public street.

Be ready to pay vehicle registration fees when you register your vehicle. The payment schedule is online at the NV DMV if you want to see the cost to register your vehicle. Various forms of payment are accepted, such as cash, checks, money orders and most credit cards.

One last important document you need to register your vehicle you moved to Nevada is proof of car insurance. Nevada required that the name(s) on your insurance match the names(s) on your registration exactly.

The state of Nevada only accepts insurance that is issued by a Nevada licensed car insurance carrier. Out-of-state insurance is not accepted, so yes, you must change over your insurance to Nevada auto insurance. Nevada automobile insurance is necessary to comply with the Nevada Insurance Verification Program.

The minimum Liability insurance requirement in NV is 15/30/10. This stands for a $15,000 limit of Bodily Injury Liability per person and a $30,000 limit of Bodily Injury Liability per accident and a $10,000 limit of Property Damage Liability. The state of Nevada requires that you keep your NV Evidence of Insurance Card that your car insurance company gives you in your vehicle at all times and present it to law enforcement upon request.

When moving from one state to another make sure you obtain your new insurance before canceling your old policy so that you do not have a lapse in coverage. This is a good opportunity to do some car insurance comparison shopping as well and make sure you are getting the best price on Nevada car insurance.

When shopping for auto insurance let CarInsurance.com help you get quick quotes. We can help you check Nevada car insurance prices and find you the best car insurance for your situation. Our online purchase process takes the average user 16 minutes; with instant underwriting, payment, and print your proof of insurance.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "How do you change over your license, registration and car insurance if you move to Nevada?"