Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Which auto coverages protect my car?


Question: What coverage on my own car insurance policy protects my vehicle if it’s damaged?  I heard that liability can only be used for others that I damage in an auto accident.

Answer: What you heard is correct.  Your liability coverages are there to help repair the damage you inflict on other people and their vehicles.

Property damage liability coverage pays out, up to your stated limits, when you damage another person's personal property like a vehicle, house, fence, or mailbox.  It also covers city or state-owned property like a guardrail, sign, or lamppost. Bodily injury liability coverage pays out, up to your stated limits, for injuries you cause to anyone who wasn't riding in your car.

Neither of these types of insurance will cover your own vehicle in any way.

Your own auto insurance policy won’t cover your vehicle if it’s been damaged unless you have physical damage coverages of collision, comprehensive or uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD).  Each coverage type is different, so make sure you purchase the right coverages for your needs.

Collision and comprehensive are not a part of any state’s minimum car insurance requirements; however, if you have a financed or leased vehicle then it most certainly will be required by the lender or leaseholder.    

Coverage to fix your car

Collision car insurance covers your vehicle if it hits, or is hit by, another vehicle, or object.  It also covers the upset of your car.  So whether you accidentally hit another vehicle, a tree or flip your car on the freeway, your vehicle would be covered if you had collision insurance coverage. 

Comprehensive insurance is also known as other-than-collision or OTC because it covers your vehicle for incidents that aren’t collision related. 

Comprehensive pays for your vehicle if it’s damaged due to theft, vandalism, fire or an animal strike.  It also covers glass damage and damage sustained due to severe weather, such as wind, floodwaters, hail, hurricanes or tornadoes.

UMPD is required in some states and not even offered in others.  In general, it covers damage to your vehicle (up to its limits) that was sustained due to an at-fault uninsured driver.  Typically, the driver has to be known and found to be uninsured to use the coverage, so hit-and-run accidents aren’t usually covered. This coverage may come with a deductible.

Collision is preferable to UMPD since it can be used for any type of collision and regardless of fault.  So, even if your state requires UMPD we’d also recommend that you carry collision coverage if you can afford it.

Collision and comprehensive each will pay for repairs or the actual cash value of your vehicle if it’s determined to be a total loss.  You must also choose a deductible for each.  This is the amount you’ll be responsible for before your physical damage benefits kick in.

If you currently only have liability coverage, then adding protection for your car in the form of collision and comprehensive (some insurers won’t let you purchase one without the other) will cost more. To find the best price for full coverage, make sure to compare car insurance companies.

More articles from Penny Gusner


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Which auto coverages protect my car?"