Typically when we hear conversion it has to do with an option available in Connecticut for uninsured motorist coverage. It may have other meanings to other insurers, so if your auto insurance policy has "conversion" in its terms you can discuss with your agent what it means in your specific situation.

Connecticut's Insurance Department notes that Underinsured Motorist Conversion coverage provides for reimbursement in case you are injured by an underinsured driver. If your damages exceed the at-fault driver's insurance, or other payments, your underinsured motorist conversion coverage will be available for damages not paid. This optional coverage is not reduced by payments from any other source, including the at-fault driver's liability insurance as traditional uninsured motorist coverage is.

For example, if you have uninsured/underinsured coverage of $300,000 and you sustain $400,000 in personal injuries caused by an at-fault driver with $200,000 in bodily injury liability, without underinsured conversion coverage you would normally only be able to collect the $200,000 from the other driver's insurance plus $100,000 from your own underinsured coverage, which equals your $300,000 limit. With Conversion coverage in CT, you could collect the full $200,000 from your own underinsured coverage, thus getting a total of $400,000 instead of $300,000.

Connecticut conversion coverage is an option that cab be purchased that, in effect, "stacks" your policy onto that of a tortfeasor (at fault party). In other words, if someone at fault has insurance coverage that is not adequate to pay damages for injuries which you sustain, Conversion coverage allows you to place your underinsured motorist coverage on top of the responsible party's coverage regardless of what your limit of underinsured motorist coverage may be. This type of stacking is available in other states, but the term conversion coverage is unique to Connecticut to the best of our knowledge.

This conversion underinsured motorist coverage is in contrast to the typical scenario whereby you would only be able to collect that amount of underinsured motorist coverage that is in excess of the other party's policy. So with a normal underinsured motorist bodily injury (UNDUM) policy if you had $50,000 dollars in underinsured motorist coverage then your total compensation from both policies could only total altogether $50,000.

Please read our Connecticut Car Insurance page for more information on insurance laws in Connecticut.