Trailer liability insurance can be insurance for anything from a horse trailer to a travel trailer but normally is for the latter. Not all insurance companies offer this type of coverage so you may need a company that specializes in it.
What will be covered will depend on the insurance carrier and the terms of the policy. For example some companies will insure anything from small pop-up campers to big fifth-wheel rigs. A Formost Insurance trailer policy provides standard and optional coverages not found in most auto policies, including:
- Comprehensive Coverage - for protection from just about any direct, sudden and accidental loss, including collision, fire, smoke, floods, landslides, hail, windstorms, animals, vandalism, low branches or overhangs, theft and lightning.
- Coverage for Attached Accessories - such as awnings, satellite dishes, etc.
- Emergency Expanses Coverage - that pays for lodging or travel home if your rig is damaged by a covered loss more than 50 miles from home.
- Campsite/Vacation Liability Coverage - that provides liability coverage when you are using a travel trailer as a secondary residence
- Total Loss Replacement Coverage - if a new-model travel trailer is destroyed within its first five model years, and you are the original owner, we'll pay to replace it with a brand new one of similar kind and quality
- Replacement Cost Coverage - on personal belongings that are destroyed or stolen is another great option, particularly if you use your RV often
- Full-Timer Coverage - provides liability protection very similar to a homeowners policy. Our program for Stationary Travel Trailers gives you extensive comprehensive and contents coverage if they use the travel trailer as a seasonal or permanent residence
In South Africa, comprehensive cover for private use purposes, is available for caravans and trailers. Caravans and trailers and their standard, factory fitted hoaccessories may be covered individually or in combination with other risks.
The caravan or trailer policy also includes an additional cover option for loose contents (e.g. crockery, bedding, appliances, etc) that were not bought together with the caravan. Comprehensive insurance needs of the caravan/trailer owner are provided for by some insurers and can include:
- Own damage to your trailer/caravan
- Theft of your trailer/caravan
- Third Party Liability where you become legally liable for damage to property, death or bodily injury to any person
The value of the Trailer/Caravan insured must be based on reasonable retail value and therefore it is extremely important for policyholders to review the value of their Trailer/Caravan on a regular basis, to ensure adequate cover and that they are not over insured or paying unnecessary premiums.