Written by:
Michelle Megna
Contributing Researcher
Michelle is a writer, editor and expert on car insurance and personal finance. She's a former editorial director. Prior to joining, she reported and edited articles on technology, lifestyle, education and government for magazines, websites and major newspapers, including the New York Daily News.
Reviewed by:
Les Masterson
reviewer icon
Managing Editor
Les Masterson has more than 20 years of experience in journalism, editing and content creation. In his career, he has covered everything from health insurance to presidential politics.

Car and dollar signBuy as much car insurance as you can afford.

Not only do you probably need more liability coverage– almost everyone does- but the extra liability coverage isn’t too pricey. Doubling liability protection does not mean you pay twice as much for the additional coverage.

Here’s an example of why you need more than minimum liability coverage: If you cause an accident that totals a car and seriously injures multiple people, you would be responsible for paying all the medical and repair bills. If you have bare-bones coverage, the total amount of the accident would likely be much lower than what your insurance would cover. That means you could be sued and have to pay a large settlement and legal bills to cover the remaining cost.

Liability insurance pays medical bills for those injured in an accident you cause and for damage you cause to other cars — it doesn’t pay for repairs to your vehicle. For that, you would also need comprehensive and collision insurance.

Here is an example and explanation of how car insurance companies refer to liability: 50/100/50

The first two numbers refer to bodily injury liability, which pays the hospital bills of anyone you injure.

  • The first number is the per-person limit.
  • The second is the per-accident limit.
  • The third number is the property damage liability limit, which would repair or replace the car of anyone you hit.

When deciding how much liability insurance to get, you typically choose from:

  • your state’s minimum coverage to drive legally
  • 50/100/50
  • 100/300/100

You may also opt for “full coverage,” which means you have liability plus comprehensive and collision added to your policy.

Don’t skimp on liability when deciding how much car insurance you need. Buying as much liability insurance as you can afford is essential because low liability limits put your savings and assets at risk should you cause an accident. The average new car costs more than $35,000 and cars being built today cost much more to fix than vehicles from a decade or two ago.

Medical costs also continue to rise each year. High liability limits protect you if you’re at fault and won’t leave you needing to sell your house to pay for the cost of an accident, say totaling another driver’s car, or for legal fees should you face a lawsuit.

It is a wise investment with extra liability protection at an affordable price.

Consider the following, based on’s analysis of rates:

  • The nationwide average cost for state minimum liability coverage is $574.
  • Increasing that coverage to $50,000/$100,000/$50,000 averages only $644. So, you only pay another $70 a year ($6 monthly) by increasing your coverage.
  • If you increase state minimum coverage to full coverage, $100,000/$300,000/$100,000 with comprehensive and collision and a $500 deductible, the average goes up to $1,758, which is $1,184 more per year or about $99 per month. consumer analyst Penny Gusner advises anyone with assets such as a home or savings to buy at least 100/300/100. Still, even higher limits of 50/100/50 are much better than your state minimum required to drive legally. After all, you’re on the hook for whatever your insurance company doesn’t pay.

Enter your state in the search field to see how much you pay to boost liability from state minimum requirements to 50/100/50.

Thankfully, increasing your liability limits — the amount your carrier pays out — isn’t a budget-buster. You’ll see below that in most states the cost to boost your coverage is under $100, in many states is less than $50.

Average driver pays for liability coverage in each state
State Average rate state minimum Average rate 50/100/50 $ more for increased coverage % for increased coverage
South Dakota$323$362$3912%
North Dakota$423$453$307%
New Hampshire$424$447$235%
North Carolina$438$481$4310%
New Mexico$479$536$5712%
West Virginia$541$608$6712%
South Carolina$617$673$569%
Rhode Island$738$921$18325%
New Jersey$846$1,025$17921%
New York$867$960$9311%

*Methodology: commissioned Quadrant Information Systems to field rates from up to six major insurers in nearly every ZIP code of the country for three coverage levels. We’ve averaged rates here for state minimum liability limits and for $50,000 per person injured in an accident; up to $100,000 per accident, with $50,000 in property damage, by state for the driver profile of a 30-year-old male, 2019 Honda Accord, with good credit and no accidents.

Combined single limit liability insurance: What it is and if it’s worth it

When researching your options for liability insurance and what limits to buy, you may also want to consider a combined single-limit policy (CSL), which typically gives you more coverage and protection than split-limit policies.

With CSL, the car insurance company would combine both bodily injury liability and property damage liability insurance under a single limit. The insurance company would pay up to the stated limit on a third-party claim regardless of whether the claim was for bodily injury, property damage, or both.

The split limit has the portions of payment limits already designated while the combined single limit policy can give a policyholder flexibility to use the full coverage for bodily injury and property damage as it is needed to be allocated between the different expenses.

If you purchase a CSL policy and are at fault in an accident, you may be better covered for accidents than you would be with a split policy. Let’s look at an example where you are at fault in an accident and then look at it from both a split limit policy of 100/300/50 and a $300,000 CSL policy.

With the minimum insurance split limits of 100/300/50 if you caused over $50,000 worth of property damage to a vehicle you would usually be personally responsible for damages that exceed that amount. If you hit multiple cars that limit could easily be reached. So, say you caused $65,000 worth of property damage, you are now $15,000 over your property damage limit.

If one person was severely hurt by you in the accident and exceeded your $100,000 limit for one person injured in one incident, say by $50,000. You would now be over your limit in two different areas of your split limit policy by a total of $65,000. You would be responsible for paying this amount.

With a $300,000 CSL insurance policy, everything would be covered in the example given above because you can split the coverage up how you need it. So your property damage liability can pay out $65,000 and your bodily injury liability can pay out the $150,000 under CSL for a total of $215,000. You are still well below your $300,000 combined limit so are better protected.

In states that allow a combined single limit instead of split limits the minimum CSL is normally the property damage liability limit plus the bodily injury liability limit (for two or more people injured in an accident).

The availability of these different forms of coverage varies from insurance company to insurance company so you should shop around.

Laura Longero

Ask the Insurance Expert

Laura Longero

Executive Editor

Laura is an award-winning editor with experience in content and communications covering auto insurance and personal finance. She has written for several media outlets, including the USA Today Network. She most recently worked in the public sector for the Nevada Department of Transportation.

John McCormick

Ask the Insurance Expert

John McCormick

Editorial Director

John is the editorial director for, and Before joining QuinStreet, John was a deputy editor at The Wall Street Journal and had been an editor and reporter at a number of other media outlets where he covered insurance, personal finance, and technology.

Leslie Kasperowicz

Ask the Insurance Expert

Leslie Kasperowicz

Managing Editor

Leslie Kasperowicz is an insurance educator and content creation professional with nearly two decades of experience first directly in the insurance industry at Farmers Insurance and then as a writer, researcher, and educator for insurance shoppers writing for sites like and and managing content, now at

Nupur Gambhir

Ask the Insurance Expert

Nupur Gambhir

Managing Editor

Nupur Gambhir is a content editor and licensed life, health, and disability insurance expert. She has extensive experience bringing brands to life and has built award-nominated campaigns for travel and tech. Her insurance expertise has been featured in Bloomberg News, Forbes Advisor, CNET, Fortune, Slate, Real Simple, Lifehacker, The Financial Gym, and the end-of-life planning service.

Please Enter Valid Question. Min 50 to max 250 characters are allowed. Only (& ? , .) charcters are allowed.
Please Enter Valid Email.
Error: Security check failed
Thank You, Your message has been received. Our team of auto insurance experts typically answers questions within five working days. Note that due to the volume of questions we receive, not all may be answered. Due to technical error, please try again later.
Compare top carriers in your area Get quotes near you!
Please enter valid zip
author image
Michelle Megna
Contributing Researcher

Michelle is a writer, editor and expert on car insurance and personal finance. She's a former editorial director. Prior to joining, she reported and edited articles on technology, lifestyle, education and government for magazines, websites and major newspapers, including the New York Daily News.