Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


What does comprehensive and collision coverage cover versus liability coverage? Does it cover the other party or myself if I am in an accident?


Comprehensive (also known as Other Than Collision) and Collision covers your own property not the other person.

Comprehensive and collision are physical damage coverages that cover your own vehicle while liability coverages of property damage and bodily injury liability cover those that you may cause damages to.

Comprehensive covers your vehicle, and sometimes other vehicles you may be driving for losses resulting from incidents other than collision. For example, comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car if it is stolen; or damaged by flood, fire, or animals.

Collision covers damage to your car when your car hits, or is hit by, another vehicle, or other object. Both physical damage coverages of collision and comprehensive pay to fix your vehicle less the deductible you chose at the inception of your policy.

Property Damage liability covers you if your car damages someone else's property. Usually it is their car, but it could be a fence, a house or any other property damaged in an accident. It also provides you with legal defense if another party files a lawsuit against you.

Bodily injury liability covers other people's bodily injuries or death for which you are responsible. It also provides for a legal defense if another party in the accident files a lawsuit against you. Claims for bodily injury may be for such things as medical bills, loss of income or pain and suffering. Bodily injury liability covers injury to people, not your vehicle.

In the event of a serious accident, you want enough liability insurance to cover a judgment against you in a lawsuit, without jeopardizing your personal assets. Liability coverages are limited to the terms and conditions contained in the policy. Property Damage and Bodily Injury liability coverages are mandatory in most states.

So you will need to obtain collision and comprehensive coverages if you want your own vehicle covered in an accident while liability coverages, which many states mandate a driver to have, cover damages you may cause to others with your vehicle. Get instant car insurance quotes here with us.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
2 Responses to "What does comprehensive and collision coverage cover versus liability coverage? Does it cover the other party or myself if I am in an accident?"
  1. Cruz

    Which insurance coverage is used when you rear end a vehicle because of dogs crossing in front of car in front of you and the other driver in front just slams on his brakes to avoid hitting the dogs? We hit him because he slammed on his brakes. Now my son was driving with my permission but is not on the insurance. Would comprehensive or collision cover from the other drivers insurance?

  2. Anonymous

    answered all my questions