Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


Would a hit and run be covered under collision or comprehensive insurance?


The terms of insurance policies differ however in general an insurance company will normally accept a claim under collision coverages for damages sustained to your vehicle caused by a hit and run driver.

When you see that your car has been damaged by an unknown, hit and run, driver you should contact law enforcement to make a report. Your insurer may not require the police report but it is better to have it than need it and not to have made a police report.

When you use your collision coverage to repair your vehicle remember that the deductible will be due that you choose for that portion of your policy at its inception.

Collision coverage typically cover damages to your car when your car hits, or is hit by, another vehicle, or other object. A hit and run that clearly shows another car or object collided with your vehicle should be covered under your collision coverages.

Comprehensive coverage covers your vehicle for losses resulting from incidents other than collision. For example, comprehensive insurance covers loss caused by missiles, falling objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief or vandalism, riot or civil commotion, colliding with a bird or animal, or breakage of glass.

So unless when your claims adjuster views the car he or she determines that an animal or falling object or anything else covered under your comprehensive coverages damaged your vehicle than it would be a collision claim normally.

Read through the terms of your policy and speak to your agent about making a report for the damages your vehicle sustained by a hit and run accident to verify your collision coverages would be used in your specific situation.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
0 Responses to "Would a hit and run be covered under collision or comprehensive insurance?"