Kyle Busch said that he was test-driving a new sports car and got carried away; he will now have his day in court and have to face the consequences of driving at racetrack speeds on a 45 mph side street.
If the NASCAR driver is actually convicted of speeding 80 mph over the limit and reckless driving, then yes, according to North Carolina laws, his driver's license should be suspended. And yes, his car insurance rates will suffer.
He may be able to plea down his traffic violations or make other arrangements with the court, so we cannot give a definitive answer.
We can tell you that, the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can suspend your license to drive as soon as it receives the conviction report from the court, for a variety of reasons, including the following (suspension period listed if known):
- Conviction of speeding in excess of 55 mph, at least 15 mph over legal limit - 30 day suspension
- Conviction of speeding in excess of 55 mph, at least 15 mph over legal limit (second offense within one year) - 60 day suspension
- Conviction of speeding plus reckless driving (same incident) - 60 day suspension
- Conviction of willful racing - 3 year suspension and vehicle seized
- Conviction of two charges of reckless driving committed within 12 months - 1 year suspension
- Two convictions of speeding over 55 mph during the same year
- One conviction of speeding over 55 mph and one conviction of reckless driving within a year
- A conviction for speeding over 75 mph
A speeding ticket for 80+ mph over the limit would normally affect anyone's car insurance rates. Add to that to being cited for careless and reckless driving, both typically major offenses to car insurance companies, and surely his rates will increase.
North Carolina has a Safe Driver Incentive Plan (SDIP) that assigns points to various driving convictions; your points total dictates how much your auto insurance will rise.
If Kyle Busch is convicted of reckless driving, that is four points and his rate of speed would be another four point offense. These eight points would raise his rates by 190% according to the SDIP rate table.
When shopping around for low cost car insurance come to CarInsurance.com, an online marketplace. We offer you the ability to shop for car insurance online and the ability to purchase your policy directly through CarInsurance.com.