Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753


See if your question's been answered
Looking for more answers? Find advice to
commonly asked questions from our team
of insurance experts.


In the state of Oklahoma is Uninsured Motorist required coverage?


No, you are not required to carry Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage in the state of Oklahoma.

According to the Oklahoma Liability Insurance Law there is Compulsory Liability Insurance required in OK. All Oklahoma drivers and/or vehicle owners are required by law to carry the minimum limits of liability for this state referred to as 25/50/25 which stands for:

  • $25,000 for injury or death of one person (Liability Bodily Injury)
  • $50,000 for injury or death of two or more persons(Liability Bodily Injury)
  • $25,000 for property damage (Liability Property Damage)

Oklahoma auto insurers are required to offer Uninsured Motorist / Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) to policyholders it is not mandated as part of a basic auto insurance policy and thus is optional coverage that a motorist can reject.

In OK, UM coverage pays you, resident members of your family, and occupants of your car for personal injuries caused by an uninsured motorist, and Underinsured Motorist or a hit and run driver. This type of coverage does not pay for damage to your car, just injuries.

Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) insurance come packaged together in Oklahoma. They may be purchased in either an amount equal to, or less than, the minimum level of Bodily Injury Liability coverage mandated by the state.

As we mentioned while you are not required by law to carry this coverage, companies are required to offer it with every policy. You then can either decide to carry it or reject the UM/UIM coverage.

You can get quick quote for car insurance for Oklahoma by clicking here and inputting your zip code.


Add Comment

Leave a Comment
1 Responses to "In the state of Oklahoma is Uninsured Motorist required coverage?"
  1. Anonymous

    Answered my question precisely!