Car insurance companies contribute information on claims to a database called C.L.U.E. Insurance companies use the claims history information for drivers when pricing policies. The more accident claims you have, your car insurance will cost. That’s why it’s essential to be sure the report is accurate. 

You can get a free C.L.U.E. report once a year by either calling LexisNexis or ordering one from its website.

Key Highlights
  • Typically, your auto insurance rate will increase as you file more accident claims. 
  • Once a year, LexisNexis offers a free CLUE report that can be obtained by phoning the company or placing an online order. 
  • To obtain a free copy of your driving record, contact your state’s motor vehicle department. 
  • can assist you in comparing auto insurance quotes and locating the best coverage for your needs, even if you have moving offenses on your driving record.

What is a C.L.U.E. report?

The C.L.U.E. acronym, commonly called CLUE, stands for a Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange and is compiled by LexisNexis Risk Solutions. The CLUE report will show the claims made by a driver over the past seven years.

Your CLUE report typically includes the following:

  • your name and date of birth
  • policy number
  • information about any claims on your record – including dates of loss, types of loss and amounts paid 
  • if you’ve insured a home or rental or a car
  • details about the condition and value of your car 

It should not include credit, criminal or civil lawsuit information.

How to fix your CLUE report

If you discover an error on your CLUE report, for example, an invalid claim report or an incorrect loss payment, you can contact LexisNexis directly by calling 888-497-0011 or 866-312-8076 and report the problem.

LexisNexis will contact the insurance company on your behalf, ask for clarification, and notify you of the results within 30 days. If you feel an item in the C.L.U.E. report deserves an explanation, you may submit a personal statement that LexisNexis will add to all future C.L.U.E. reports.

It’s also wise to check your driving record for the same reasons. Car insurance companies review your driving record, and if you have accidents or violations, the insurance company will determine there is a good chance you will file claims, which costs the company money. That means the insurance company will charge you more to help cover its expenses.

You can contact your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles to get a free copy of your driving record. Each state has its procedure for correcting any errors on driver records. For example, if your driving record contains incorrect information about a traffic violation in California, you must request a correction by completing a Driver License Record Correction Request. For accidents, you would fill out the Traffic Accident Record Correction Request.

If you make corrections to your CLUE report and/or motor vehicle record, notify your auto insurance company so it can pull these reports again and obtain accurate information to price your car insurance.