Yes, many insurance companies will allow you to start a policy with a Mexican driver’s license. However, you will usually have 30 days to provide a valid U.S. driver’s license to the insurance company after the start of the policy in order to keep it valid.

If you do want to get insurance in one of the U.S. states and will be obtaining a state license shortly, start comparing quotes to find the best deal on car insurance

So while it is possible to obtain a car insurance policy with your Mexican driver’s license, you will need to acquire a state license to keep the insurance in force. If you will only be in the U.S. for a short period of time and do not plan on acquiring a U.S. license, then you may need to see if your Mexican insurance provider will cover you while in the United States.

If you are bringing a vehicle from Mexico into the U.S., state law will likely require that you have a current Mexican driver’s license, current Mexican license plates and current vehicle registration. If the car isn’t registered in your name, get a letter from the owner authorizing you to drive the car.

 — Michelle Megna contributed to this story.

author image
Contributing Writer

Shivani Gite is a personal finance and insurance writer with a degree in journalism and mass communication. She is passionate about making insurance topics easy to understand for people and helping them make better financial decisions. When not writing, you can find her reading a book or watching anime.