Call Us Toll Free: 1-855-430-7753
Go To Top
Get Personalized Car Insurance Quotes
Currently Insured?

Is a Canadian drivers license valid in the US?

Yes, a full Canadian license that is current is valid in the United States. You may drive with your Canadian license within the borders of the U.S. due to reciprocal agreements that the U.S. and Canada have with each other in regards to driver's licenses.

If you plan on staying in the United States for a lengthy period of time, you should check with the state in which you plan to stay to make sure your license will be valid for the entirety of your trip. If you become a resident instead of a visitor to the United States then the state in which you reside will normally require you to exchange your Canadian license for a state license.

Leave a Comment
Ask a Question
Tell us your thoughts
Leave a Comment

3 Responses to "Is a Canadian drivers license valid in the US?"
  1. cheryl

    my son is 21, has an Ontario drivers license full G class. He will be living in Indiana for 8 months. Does he need to get new plates for Indiana? does he need to have an Indiana drivers licence? If the Cdn insurance company won't cover him past a short period, how do we know what insurance he will need in Indiana to be fully covered. thanks for any info.

  2. Leon

    I am a Canadian who is looking to stay in Indiana for at least 5 or so months. I am not here as a citizen but I do own a OPT Visa allowing me to work for a year. Would I require an American license in order to get a car just for convenience?

  3. Raymond

    I am a Canadian, and would like to purchase a car in Virginia for use during the winter months. My plan is to bring it home to Ontario for the summer months. Can I buy insurance in Florida that will cover both places?

Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided are for information purposes. They are not intended to substitute informed professional advice. These responses should not be interpreted as a recommendation to buy or sell any insurance product, or to provide financial or legal advice. Please refer to your insurance policy for specific coverage and exclusion information. Please read our Terms of Service.

Ask Your Question Now


Penny will do whatever research it takes to find your answer ASAP.