For drivers, car insurance rates start to increase around age 65, according to 2022 CarInsurance.com data. That’s not surprising. Older drivers have higher crash deaths than drivers between the ages of 35 and 54, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC data also shows that 20 older adults are killed every day in car crashes.
But that doesn’t mean seniors can’t find good deals on car insurance. Our guide will help you find the cheapest rates for seniors in Oklahoma and learn other ways to save on auto insurance premiums.
- The average car insurance cost for a 60-year-old driver in Oklahoma is $1,512 per year for a full coverage policy.
- A 70-year-old driver in Oklahoma pays 10% more than a 60-year-old driver, based on CarInsurance.com research.
- In Oklahoma, a 75-year-old driver pays for a full coverage policy 20% more than a 60-year-old driver.
- Shopping around for car insurance in Oklahoma – every six months or annually around renewal time can help you get the best rate.
- Cheapest car insurance companies for seniors in Oklahoma
- Compare cheap car insurance quotes for senior drivers in Oklahoma
- Why do car insurance rates increase for senior drivers in Oklahoma?
- Cheapest car insurance for seniors with tickets in Oklahoma
- Cheapest car insurance for seniors with DUIs in Oklahoma
- Cheapest car insurance for seniors after an accident in Oklahoma
- How can seniors save on car insurance in Oklahoma?
- Car insurance discounts for senior drivers in Oklahoma
- Choosing the cheapest and best car insurance for seniors in Oklahoma
- FAQ: Cheap car insurance for seniors in Oklahoma
- Bottom line
- Resources & Methodology
- Guide to car insurance (with rates) in cities of Oklahoma
Cheapest car insurance companies for seniors in Oklahoma
Below are the cheapest, full-coverage car insurance rates in Oklahoma for drivers at various ages:
- Cheapest for seniors, overall: USAA, $91 per month.
- Cheapest for seniors at age 60: USAA, $85 per month.
- Cheapest for seniors at age 65: Geico, $83 per month.
- Cheapest for seniors at age 70: USAA, $92 per month.
- Cheapest for seniors at age 75: USAA, $101 per month.
Compare cheap car insurance quotes for senior drivers in Oklahoma
Below are the cheapest Oklahoma rates being offered by the major car insurance companies for three different coverage levels: The state minimum, liability-only coverage with limits of 50/100/50 and full coverage car insurance with liability limits of 100/300/100.
Select your age and type of coverage below to see the average annual and monthly rates.
|Company Name||Avg. Annual Premium||Avg. Monthly Premium|
- Full Coverage: 100/300/100 liability with $500 comprehensive/collision deductible
- Liability Only: 50/100/50 liability only
- State Minimum: State minimum coverage
Why do car insurance rates increase for senior drivers in Oklahoma?
Car insurance tends to become more expensive for older drivers due to a number of factors. Statistics show that seniors on average tend to be involved in more accidents than younger drivers (excluding teens).
While older drivers usually have decades of experience under their belt, they often suffer from age-related hearing or vision loss, slower reflexes, side effects from medicines and other health issues that can make driving more difficult.
The CDC found that drivers older than 70 have higher crash death rates per 1,000 crashes than drivers aged 35-54 and NHTSA statistics show that senior drivers 65 and older were involved in 13% of fatal accidents in 2020, which is up 26% from 2011.
In addition, seniors are more likely to require medical care, even after a less serious accident, and expensive hospital bills will push up the cost of insurance.
“Unfortunately, as we move past middle age, the odds of being more severely injured or dying in a car crash increase significantly”, says Carole Walker, executive director at Rocky Mountain Insurance Association.
“Statistically, older drivers have a higher risk of causing a crash, but an even bigger factor adding to higher car insurance bills are common health problems that them make them more prone to being hurt and incurring medical bills—even in low speed or less serious crashes,” she says.
All of this leads to higher car insurance rates. Car insurance premiums go up for most senior drivers in their mid-60s, according to 2022 CarInsurance.com data analysis, and then continue to climb. The average car insurance cost for a 60-year-old driver in Oklahoma is $1,512 for a full coverage policy. Drivers age 70 pay $1,660 for the same coverage.
CarInsurance.com found that 70-year-old drivers pay 10% more than 60-year-old drivers in Oklahoma, and 75-year-old drivers pay 20% more for a full coverage policy.
The table below shows the annual average rate increase for senior drivers by age in Oklahoma for different coverage levels:
|Age||State Minimum||Liability Only||Full Coverage|
- Full Coverage: 100/300/100 Liability with $500 Comp/Coll Deductible
- Liability Only: 50/100/50 Liability Only
- State Minimum: State minimum coverage only
- Oklahoma car insurance calculator: Get estimates by ZIP code and model
- How much is car insurance for a 25-year-old in Oklahoma?
- Car insurance for high-risk drivers in Oklahoma
- Car insurance discounts in Oklahoma; 12% potential savings
- What’s the cheapest car insurance in Oklahoma?
- How much does car insurance cost in Oklahoma in 2023?
Cheapest car insurance for seniors with tickets in Oklahoma
A speeding ticket or other moving violation will raise your insurance rates regardless of your age. Insurers love statistics, and data show that a driver with a ticket on their record is more likely to get in an accident that may result in a claim.
While the increase will vary by insurance company, according to CarInsurance.com, Oklahoma drivers can expect their rates to go up 30% after a speeding ticket that is 1-29 mph over the limit.
If you are a senior with a speeding ticket or other minor moving violation on your record expect to pay more for coverage. When we ran the numbers, these were the best insurance companies for seniors with a ticket on their record.
|Company Name||Annual Rates with One Speeding Ticket||Monthly Rates with One Speeding Ticket|
|Oklahoma Farm Bureau||$2,683||$224|
Cheapest car insurance for seniors with DUIs in Oklahoma
A DUI is a serious driving violation, and your insurance rates will soar once it hits your driving record. In most cases, your insurance premium will double if you have a DUI. According to CarInsurance.com in some states, the increase can be as much as 43% after your first DUI. If you manage to rack up a second DUI, the increase could be as much as 120%.
Finding affordable coverage (or any coverage at all) will become more difficult after a DUI, but according to our data, these are the best insurers for seniors with a DUI in Oklahoma:
|Company Name||Annual Rates with DUI First Offense||Monthly Rates with DUI First Offense|
|Oklahoma Farm Bureau||$3,984||$332|
Cheapest car insurance rates by state for senior drivers
Cheapest car insurance for seniors after an accident in Oklahoma
Just like a ticket or DUI, having an accident on your driving record will push up your insurance rates. The increase will vary by insurance company but according to our data, drivers should expect their premium to jump 59% with one at-fault accident with property damage over $2,000.
The increase will typically stay in place for three to five years, so finding the most affordable insurance company is important. Our data shows that the following insurers are the cheapest car insurance for seniors after an accident in Oklahoma.
|Company Name||Annual Rates with One At-fault Accident||Monthly Rates with One At-fault Accident|
|Oklahoma Farm Bureau||$2,728||$227|
How can seniors save on car insurance in Oklahoma?
Auto insurance for seniors can be expensive, but there are ways to save. The following are easy ways to reduce your premiums:
- Shop around: Shopping regularly for car insurance – every six months or yearly around renewal time – can help ensures you have the best price.
- Raise your deductible: Increasing your deductible from $500 to $1,000 can save you a bit of money every month – but make sure you have the necessary funds to cover the higher deductible.
- Ask about discounts: Discounts – bundling with homeowners insurance, loyalty discounts and discounts for years of being licensed — are a great way to save on your car insurance. More on discounts below.
Car insurance discounts for senior drivers in Oklahoma
Here are some car insurance discounts that can help seniors lower their insurance costs.
|Discount Type||Potential Annual Savings|
|Days Advanced Purchase||5%|
|Days Per Week Driven||3%|
|Electronic Funds Transfer||4%|
|Lower Annual Mileage||5%|
|Loyalty – Years Renewal With Company||10%|
Choosing the cheapest and best car insurance for seniors in Oklahoma
Senior drivers shell out higher premiums than younger adult drivers, with the exception of teen drivers. If you are looking for an affordable policy, carefully evaluate your needs and decide the amount of coverage to purchase. While shopping for insurance, consider the price, customer service and the discounts they offer.
Find the best auto insurance companies online to see which carrier provides affordable rates and easy-to-use websites or apps.
FAQ: Cheap car insurance for seniors in Oklahoma
Who has the cheapest state minimum auto insurance for seniors in Oklahoma?
According to our data, USAA offers the cheapest state minimum auto insurance for seniors in Oklahoma at about $221 a year, on average . State Farm and Geico also scored high when it comes to cheap state minimum insurance coverage for seniors in Oklahoma.
Which companies offer the cheapest liability car insurance for seniors in Oklahoma?
USAA has the cheapest liability car insurance coverage for senior drivers in Oklahoma at an average annual premium of $341. Geico and State Farm also offer cheap liability insurance rates to seniors in Oklahoma, based on CarInsurance.com data analysis.
Does State Farm offer a senior discount in Oklahoma?
State Farm does not currently offer a senior discount in Oklahoma, but it does offer quite a few discounts that seniors can use to lower their premiums. This includes discounts for taking a defensive driving course, a safe driving discount, long-term customer, bundling and discounts for advanced safety features on your vehicle.
USAA offers the cheapest car insurance quotes for senior drivers in Oklahoma for a full coverage policy, based on a 2022 CarInsurance.com analysis.
By shopping around and comparing rates online from different insurers, seniors can find the best deal on their car insurance. Additionally, senior drivers could qualify for discounts by taking defensive driving courses or bundling their car insurance with other types of insurance.
Resources & Methodology
There are a number of resources available for older drivers who want to stay safe behind the wheel and save on their insurance premiums:
- American Automobile Association: AAA helps senior drivers to continue driving for as long and safely as possible.
- AARP (American Association of Retired Persons): AARP’s smart driver program helps senior drivers to learn proven driving techniques and save money on car insurance.
- National Institute on Aging: The NIA provides tips to senior drivers related to health and driving and offers free publications to aging seniors answering health-related queries.
- Fitness-to-Drive Screening Measure Online: This web-based tool helps family members identify at-risk drivers.
- Eldercare Locator: Helps senior drivers maintain their independence, and provides information about highway safety for aging drivers and services.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. “Older Adult Drivers.” Accessed October 2023.
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. “Fatality Facts 2021 Older People.” Accessed October 2023.
- National Safety Council. “Motor Vehicle: Age Group Comparisons.” Accessed October 2023.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration “U.S. Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).” Accessed October 2023.
CarInsurance.com gathered car insurance rates for senior drivers from Quadrant Information Services. The rates are for a full coverage policy with limits 100/300/100 and a $500 comprehensive and collision deductible based on sample profiles of 60, 65, 70 and 75-year-olds with clean driving records. We have compared 50,00,736 car insurance quotes across 1,467 ZIP codes from 27 company groups nationwide.
To determine car insurance rates for senior drivers with a history of traffic violations, CarInsurance.com used a sample profile of a 70-year-old driver who owns a Honda Accord LX.
Car insurance rates are calculated by evaluating the sample profile of a 70-year-old male driver with the following incidents applied
- One at-fault property damage accident over $2K
- One at-fault property damage accident under $2K
- At-fault bodily injury accidents
- DUI/DWI first offense.
- Speeding ticket (1-10 MPH over the limit and 11-29 MPH over the limit)
These are sample rates and should only be used for comparison purposes.