What is the financial responsibility law in Florida?

According to Florida law, vehicle owners or operators may be required to carry two types of insurance – personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage liability.

If you own a car in Florida or plan to purchase one, you are required to carry a minimum of $10,000 for personal injury protection (PIP), which will pay for your medical expenses, disability or lost income in case of a crash. The coverage is regardless of who is at the fault.

However, in Florida, PIP only covers 80% of the cost of the care, where you are responsible for the remaining 20% cost.

The Florida Responsibility Law also requires you to carry property damage liability insurance (PDL) of no less than $10,000. In case of a crash, property damage liability pays for the damages caused to another person’s property if you are at fault in the accident. 

Since $10,000 is a low coverage amount, CarInsurance.com editors recommend that you have higher coverage for PDL as it is not expensive and can help you save thousands of dollars to pay for the damages in case you are responsible for the crash. 

The Florida no-fault law states that any person who has a car in Florida for more than 90 days during the preceding 365 days, resides in Florida, is employed in Florida or has children in school in Florida must purchase personal injury protection ($10,000) and property damage liability coverage ($10,000).

The purpose of the Financial Responsibility Law is to require owners and operators of motor vehicles to be financially responsible for damages and/or injuries they may cause to others when a motor vehicle crash happens. This law requires any person to have liability insurance at the time of the following:

  • A crash where you are at fault and injuries were a result.
  • A suspension for too many points against your driver’s license.
  • A citation for DUI.
  • A revocation for Habitual Traffic Offenders.
  • A revocation for any serious offense where this department is required to revoke your license.

The Florida financial responsibility law comes into play if you were involved in any of the above violations and you did not have insurance coverages that comply with the financial responsibility law.

What if I do not have minimum coverage in Florida?

If you do not carry the minimum coverage required by the law in Florida, there are multiple penalties you can face, including fines of $150-$500 and suspension of your driver’s license for three years for the first offense.

You will have to pay a reinstatement fee and show the department certified proof of full liability insurance on form SR-22 for three years from the original suspension to get your driving privileges reinstated.

Learn more about what are the minimum liability car insurance requirements by state

– Michelle Megna contributed to this story.

author image
Michelle Megna
Contributing Researcher

Michelle is a writer, editor and expert on car insurance and personal finance. She's a former CarInsurance.com editorial director. Prior to joining CarInsurance.com, she reported and edited articles on technology, lifestyle, education and government for magazines, websites and major newspapers, including the New York Daily News.