In the state of Virginia you will need to maintain a FR-44 for either three or four years depending upon your situation.
The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) says after certain convictions you can be required to obtain a Financial Responsibility Certificate (FR-44) issued through your car insurance company and maintain it for a period of three (3) years from the date your revocation time ended. If, however, you obtain a restricted driver's license, you will need to carry the FR-44 insurance for a total of four (4) years.
As you are likely aware by now the FR-44 is similar to the SR-22 financial responsibility certificate that one must file with the state after certain convictions though the FR-44 is required typically after DUI convictions and has higher limits than the SR-22.
The Virginia DMV states that since January 1, 2008 the FR-44 certification is required for the following convictions:
- Maiming while under the influence
- Driving while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs
- Driving while the driver's license has been forfeited for a conviction, or finding of not innocent in the case of a juvenile
- Violation of the provisions of any federal law or law of any other state or any valid local ordinance similar to the above
FR-44 liability insurance coverage limits are double the SR-22 insurance coverage limits and are 50/100/40 which stands for:
- $50,000 Bodily Injury Liability per person
- $100,000 Bodily Injury Liability per accident
- $40,000 Property damage Liability
Expect higher state car insurance rates due to the higher Liability limits you must carry and the DUI that is on your Virginia driving record, which auto insurance companies will rate you on. You will need to shop around to get affordable auto insurance rates.
Currently the best way to obtain an FR-44 filing with CarInsurance.com is by contacting our call center toll-free at 1-855-430-7658. Our agents will help you obtain a quote for the coverage you need. Most companies can provide immediate proof of insurance via e-mail or fax.